Friday, January 14, 2011

Y: The Last Man

Y: The Last Man
Y: The Last Man (Vertigo, 2002-2008)
by Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra
For around the past month, I've been reading a comic book series collected into ten trades called Y: The Last Man. I borrowed the series from my great buddy Matt Rickle, who has never led me astray. Needless to say, it ruled.

The gist of the story is a plague hits the entire earth, killing every living male mammal on the planet with the exception of Yorick Brown and his current pet monkey Ampersand. Most of the ten books focus on the two companions' various journeys and misadventures trying to discover the source of and solution for the plague with the mysterious government agent 355 and the brilliant and sometimes equally as mysterious Dr. Allison Mann.

I'm not going to get too detailed, as there is a lot of ground to cover with a lot of subtleties and twists that I'd rather not spoil. I will say that, while not perfect, the entire series is nothing short of fantastic. Not the best comic series I've ever read, but still, damn amazing. If you consider yourself my friend, and feel that you can trust my judgment without many specific details, then just do yourself a favor and read this ASAP. It opens perfectly, has plenty of peaks and very few valleys and ends beautifully and emotionally (which, is very appropriate for this blog). To be honest, a specific occurence in the final book seriously made me cry. I may be a baby, but you better read Y: The Last Man if you haven't already.

No comments: