Saturday, January 15, 2011

Six Films Recently Viewed For The First Time

Observe and Report
Right back atcha all quick-like.

For the non-profit agency that employs me part-time, I job coach on Mondays at a Family Video in Canton. They have a lot of previously viewed DVDs on sale for $2. Sometimes I purchase some. Here comes a list of five of those that I recently watched (and another movie that my friend Whitney rented), along with what I said about them via Facebook.

Art School Confidential (2006)
Written by Daniel Clowes, directed by Terry Zwigoff
Dark, weird, pretty funny. Malkovich is masterful as a pretentious drawing and painting professor.

Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever (2009)
Written by Joshua Malkin, Randy Pearlstein and Ti West, directed by Ti West
Hilarious and totally disgusting. Very cool style, film looks surprisingly good. The first Cabin Fever is one of the greatest gross out horror films I've ever seen. This one, albeit still totally good, lacked a little bit, even in the gore sense... which is crazy.

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (2002)
Written by Michael Petroni and Jeff Stockwell, directed by Peter Care
Meant to see this long ago. Good coming of age film. The animated scenes were fantastic. Was completely shocked by the ending. I have a huge crush on Jena Malone.

Gentlemen Broncos (2009)
Written by Jared and Jerusha Hess, directed by Jared Hess
In spite of the recycling of types of characters from Napolean Dynamite, Gentlemen Broncos was insane and funny. It dragged in places, and a lot of the story and characters were forced, but there were enough hilarious, bizarre and uncomfortable moments to make watching this quite enjoyable.

Observe and Report (2009)
Written and directed by Jody Hill
Very dark, very funny. I cannot deny that Seth Rogan is one of my absolute favorite actors and dudes around.

Where the Wild Things Are (2009)
Written by Spike Jonze and Dave Eggars, directed by Spike Jonze.
Finally saw it! Beautiful both visiually and emotionally, but still not quite as amazing as I was hoping for.


No comments: