Thursday, January 20, 2011

NFL Conference Championships/Super Bowl XLV?

Super Bowl XLV?
Here is another blog post where I make a fool of myself again with some more football predictions. This coming Sunday hosts two huge games. obviously, in the AFC and NFC championships. These will be both fun and stressful to watch, as in each game I feel passionately for one team and strongly dislike the other (at least this season).

Before I get on with my picks, I want to draw attention to this: a post I made on Super Bowl Sunday last year. You can go ahead and ignore all the bold and idiotic claims I made regarding Super Bowl XLIV (New Orleans vs. Indianapolis). You can also please ignore the fact that at the beginning of the 2010 season, I predicted Indianapolis and Green Bay play in the Super Bowl, and then midway through the season I changed my mind and decided it would be Pittsburgh and the New York Giants. But, in that Super Bowl post from last year, if you would kindly read the final paragraph, you will see that I picked Pittsburgh to play Green Bay in this year's Super Bowl. Just saying/bragging/hoping.

Oh, and the picture above is not any indication of how I think a Super Bowl that featured Pittsburgh and Green Bay would necessarily go down. Again, just saying.

Anyway, here we go!

AFC Championship
This will be quite the physical brawl as two of the NFL's best defenses square off. I cannot imagine Mark Sanchez doing what he did last Sunday against the #1 defense in the league. The Jets may have beat Pittsburgh in the regular season, but if I have my facts right, Troy Polamalu wasn't even playing (and he is the glue that holds this defense together, apparently). Regardless, this shouldn't be a statistically pretty game, and should be very close, and if Pittsburgh doesn't shut Rex Ryans fat mouth, I'm gonna be pissed.
Final score: Pittsburgh Steelers over New York Jets 20-17

NFC Championship
I don't hate the Chicago Bears nearly as much as I do the New York Jets, so my soul won't be crushed if they win. But boy do I love the Green Bay Packers with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. So much so that I think I am ready to call them my #2 NFC team after the Detroit Lions (which, admittingly, is probably only because I have to say that having grown up in Metro Detroit). Anyway, this game should be real good, and I stress the SHOULD, because, to paraphrase my friend Eric Gallipo, of all the teams left, the Bears are the most likely to let the game get out of control (though, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that happen to the Jets). This could be another great defensive match, but I think it's more likely that the Packers D make a fool of Jay Cutler than the Bears to keep Rodgers in check the way he's been playing this month (his performance against the Atlanta Falcons last Saturday has to go down as one of the greatest by a quarterback in the playoffs of all time). I think he might tear Chicago apart.
Final score: Green Bay Packers over Chicago Bears 27-17

No comments: