Friday, January 9, 2009

Weekly Listening Roundup #1

I'm a total weirdo when it comes to listening to music. I don't know how many people I have explained my listening habits to (not many, for sure), but they are strict and very geeky. What I do, is I pick a large batch of specific CDs and listen to them over time IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER. For instance, during the second half of December I picked out all of the albums from 2008 that I knew I really liked, and listened to them one last time through, in alphabetical, which really helped in ordering my list around. Strange? Yes. Obsessive? A little bit.

Right now I am going through all of the CDs I have acquired over the past year that I have very limited to absolutely no experience with, in alphabetical order of course. And, I think I want to talk about the albums I come across that I end up really liking. I would like to make this a seriously consistent, actual weekly blog post, but we'll see if I can keep up with it.

Below, I shall highlight my six favorite albums that I've listened to this past week, based off of one or two listens to each.

Magical Mystery Tour
Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles (Capitol, 1967)
I've only been a Beatles fan for just over a year now. What was my problem? I don't know. Idiocy? Anywho, it seems like my friend of friends, Travis, is making it a tradition to give me Beatles CDs for Christmas (in 2007 he gave me Abbey Road, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band). This past year I recieved Magical Mystery Tour, and I am thankful. For me, it wasn't nearly as steady or immediate as Rubber Soul or The White Album, but, there are definitely a few glorious tracks. "Strawberry Fields Forever" is clearly fantastic (probably one of their best ever) and way ahead of its time. The secret chunk of gold here though is "Blue Jay Way," sounding like an odd and very modern indie rock tune.
Top jams: "Blue Jay Way," "Strawberry Fields Forever"

The Coast is Never Clear
The Coast is Never Clear - Beulah (Velocette, 2001)
I had heard the name Beulah floating around various people I knew and music magazines I've followed for several years, and for some reason never took note or figured that I should check this Elephant 6-associated band out. This sudden interest was spurred on in November when I heard a song of theirs in my friend Beth's car. It was awesome. Around Thanksgiving time I found The Coast is Never Clear used at Wazoo in Ann Arbor and picked it up on a whim. I listened to it once right away and thought, "Huh, this is a pretty nice pop album, I guess," and shelved it. Revisiting it again this week was an awakening slap to the face. On The Coast is Never Clear, Beulah evoke elements of the Elephant 6 (obviously), as well as late Belle and Sebastian and a little bit of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It is simple and catchy, yet with expansive instrumentation including various keyboards and horns and wind instruments. I listened to this and Belle and Sebastian's Dear Catastrophe Waitress (which I won't be showcasing here due to having been into it for several years by now) pretty much back to back and was unable to shake how similarly these two records feel. This is not a bad thing. They are both quality pop records with some brilliant moments.
Top jams: "Hello Resolven," "Gene Autry," "Silver Lining"

The Clash
The Clash (U.K. Version) - The Clash (Sony, 1977)
Right here is MY punk rock album created by MY punk rock band. The Clash were not as good on this, their self-titled debut as they were on their epic and incredible sophomore effort, London Calling (one of my favorite records of all time), which was a much more varied pop affair, as well as a pure masterpiece. But The Clash is still remarkable. It is nothing but a straightforward, brutal, catchy and anthemic album with an unignorable political vibe. It is fast, brash, loud and sounds really good. I already knew that "Janie Jones," "I'm So Bored With the U.S.A.," "White Riot," "London's Burning" and "Police & Thieves" were all awesome, but I was totally surprised by "Cheat" (including its flangey drum sound towards the end) and "Garageland." I had given up on punk rock a long, long time ago, but if I keep finding old shit that sounds like this, I may be cruisin' for a bruisin'.
Top jams: "Janie Jones," "White Riot," "Cheat," "Police & Thieves"

Fantasma
Fantasma - Cornelius (Matador, 1998)
This is some weird shit. I was turned on to Cornelius by my friend Anthony (who also keyed me into Stereolab). When I purchased Fantasma in Chicago back in May, I was expecting lots of polyrhythm, technical guitar excercises and some utterly insane drumming. Instead, what I got (or at least thought I got at first) was an obnoxious and difficult experimental piece of trash with two really amazing songs. This time around, going through the record twice, I found that it is more cutely obnoxious, and yes, it is still difficult. But, one cannot deny Keigo Oyamada's extraordinary talent and obvious love of spending a lot of time in the studio and messing with his listeners. Also, this is way more of a pop record than I first realized. I mean, not your typically clear-cut album, but pop in the way that The Flaming Lips are pop. This is just much more uncanny.
Top jams: "New Music Machine," "Clash," "Star Fruits Surf Rider," "Thank You for the Music"

This Year's Model
This Year's Model - Elvis Costello (Columbia, 1978)
I'm not exactly sure why I never cared about Elvis Costello, especially when I was living with two fairly big fans of his in Ann Arbor for two years. Alas, here I am in 2009, finally realizing that This Year's Model is one of power pop's finest albums. I was taken aback when I noticed Costello isn't really a guitar god as I was anticipating, but instead just writes really interesting pop tunes with great chords. His voice is awesome, albeit a little too good for my liking (Ted Leo, who obviously wants to be Costello, is the same way). And his drummer is top notch. Just listen to "No Action," sheesh.
Top jams: "No Action," "The Beat"

The Runners Four
The Runners Four - Deerhoof (Kill Rock Stars/5RC, 2005)
Now THIS is an album. It took me a while, but with 2007's Friend Opportunity, which was a departure from my understanding, I finally came to appreciate Deerhoof. And, as a lot of my buds know by now, Offend Maggie was my third favorite album of 2008. Now it's time to move backwards with the band, and I might as well start right here. The Runners Four has been pushed on me by several friends, and who knows why I never caved until now. Like Offend Maggie, there is plenty of classic rock riffage, and Greg Saunier plays the drums like Keith Moon on speed. It seems like everyone knows the most difficult hurdle to leap over with Deerhoof is Satomi Matsuzaki's borderline annoying child-like vocals. The thing is, her melodies are so mysterious and beautiful, I'm confused as to why I ever struggled with this in the first place. Deerhoof is a bizarre band, sure, but in all the right ways.
Top jams: "Running Thoughts," "You Can See," "Lightning Rod, Run"

4 comments:

darinfic said...

1. mmt - your mother should know is my jam.

2. beulah - bummed i never saw them live. this is my favorite album of theirs. i wasn't too into yoko but it's about time to check it out again.

3. the clash - my dad had this record and i would listen to it while i was in middle school. reminds me that i need to get my copy of sandinista back.

also, the guy that wrtoe i fought the law is sonny curtis. he also wrot ethe theme song to the mary tyler moore show and was lead guitarist for buddy holly and the everly brothers at times. good early rock stuff.

4. elvis - i grew up on him. the attractions are such a great fucking band. check out armed forces if you haven't. that's probably my favorite elvis record.

5. deerhoof - eh. if i recall, the vocals were the only thing i liked. however, the last album i heard was reveille. or maybe apple o once. either way it's been a long time.

keep writing!

Unknown said...

your music listening habits kind of remind me of my friend erik's. He once listened to his entire cd collection (500+ cds) in alphabetical order. I can't remember how long it took him but I'm guessing it was over a year.

Anyway, The Coast is Never Clear is great! Also love The Runners Four. Do you have Milkman? If not, get it!

-chad

Quillen said...

DARIN: Thanks for the insight dude! What would you recommend from Beulah pre-"The Coast is Never Clear?"

I pretty much want to own every Clash record.

"Armed Forces" is next up on my Costello listening list, followed by "My Aim is True."

I only own Deerhoof's last three records, all of which I love. I have heard a few songs from "Milk Man" and loved those as well. I haven't heard anything before that.

CHAD: I also once listened to my entire CD collection in alphabetical order. Also, when I bought "The Runners Four" I actually was looking for "Milk Man." I want it bad.

Extant Nap Ordeal said...

"Magical Mystery Tour" is a really bizarre chapter for the Beatles because the album wasn't assembled by them. They put together a 6 song EP and then for the American release,

EMI tossed together a full album. Surprisingly, it almost rivals Sgt Pepper's. It's at least very similar.

I'm glad you like Blue Jay Way. I've always loved "Flying" as well.

You should see the movie. I watched it by myself one night and I think some LSD shot out of the screen and into my body.