Saturday, January 31, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII

Pittsburgh vs. Arizona

I'm a little afraid to state my prediction for the Super Bowl (which is tomorrow, duh), because I have completely blown it all the way through the playoffs. Sure, I predicted correctly that the Pittsburgh Steelers would be there, but I also picked that they that would lose. I do not want to jinx my favorite NFL team of all time. But, I'm going to take the risk.

In spite of the Arizona Cardinals having a mostly mediocre season, they have truly been studs in these playoffs. I am a believer. Even if wide receiver Anquan Boldin leaves after this year, if Kurt Warner stays on, some sort of running game is established and the defense keeps up how they've been playing the past few weeks, they can be legitimate contenders next year.

But, next year doesn't matter yet. Only tomorrow does. And as things stand, I think Warner has potential actually tear through the Pittsburgh secondary. Only a little bit though. Troy Polamalu is way too good, and is clutch as hell. I could see him as Super Bowl MVP keeping Warner to two touchdown passes. As long as Ben Roethlisberger and company can manage the clock like they do and the Steel Curtain forces plays, I think this is Pittsburgh's game, though it will be a close one. If Willie Parker can get the running game going, then it is over.

With all of this in mind, my prediction is thus: Pittsburgh wins 27-20, in a tight defensive battle.

1 comment:

DomestiKatie. said...

we're having a superbowl party tomorrow.

i'm making red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (red and white! yay cardinals!)

it's going to be a good day.
i wish you could come over and watch it with us.