Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thoughts: NFL Conference Championships

Whoops. Sorry, my NFL playoff predictions were way off. WAY off. I picked only one team to correctly go to the conference championships. I would apologize for being an idiot, but instead I'll apologize for the consistent randomness that occurs with each NFL season, which is always fascinating and sometimes frustrating.

I'm only half bummed about these two conference championship games, the reason being that I am not a fan of the idea of a team with only nine wins going to the Super Bowl. That is just preposterous. When it comes to the NFL, especially the playoffs, I am really into justice. Meaning, I want the teams I think deserve to win to win. Let's take last season for example. Sure, the New York Giants upset the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl. The average person loves when this happens, especially when it is to the degree that it was: a team that barely and undeservingly made the playoffs defeating the first perfect team since the 1972 Miami Dolphins. Also, in their eyes, the Patriots were cheaters and bullies, although to my knowledge, there is only proof of them cheating in the second game of the season.

Anyways, I was totally rooting justice (the best team winning), but also for the more exciting side of history: the undefeated team, all the way through the Super Bowl. I was hoping to experience this in my lifetime. And you can argue all you want that the Giants were the best team in that game. Yes, true. BUT. There is no way in hell that they were the better overall team, through the season. That goes to the Patriots, and that is why I wanted them to win the Super Bowl.

Plus, how awesome if it would have happened and I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore? Hmm?

Okay, so with this year, in spite of my sadness over this nine win thing, here are my picks for this coming Sunday:

Philadelphia Eagles - 27
Arizona Cardinals - 20

Pittsburgh Steelers - 23
Baltimore Ravens - 20

I truly think the Eagles were better than their record indicates, and Donovan McNabb truly is awesome. Arizona will play well, and Kurt Warner will help them stay in the game, but Philly will be too much on both sides of the ball.

I am so nervous about this Pittsburgh/Baltimore match. It really is anyone's game. I pick Pittsburgh really only because that's who I WANT to win. Although they are evenly matched pretty much at every position with the exception of QB, where I will give Pittsburgh the nod due to Ben Roethlisberger's experience over Joe Flacco's.

It should be an interesting Sunday!

2 comments:

darinfic said...

and this is why i can't get into football. so much can happen when you leave everything up to ONE GAME. every other sport plays a series so that the best team over that span will be victorious.

i know people like the short schedules of college and pro football because "every game means something" but when a historic season is ruined because they had one less than perfect day, you're correct. there is no justice in that. i think just about everyone would agree that if the giants and pats played a best of three there's no way the g-mean would have won another game. NO WAY!

so, i guess it's the probabilities fan in me that makes me like hockey and baseball so much more. long seasons let teams find their level and in most cases the best teams do win.

or something like that. also football has waaaaaaaay too many time outs (basketball too).

Quillen said...

Darin, this is the greatest comment I have recieved yet on this blog. Thank you!

I know exactly what you are saying, and I agree with you for the most part. I am torn, because I do find the despiration in a "one-loss-and-you're-out" playoffs extremely appealing. But, I also like the five or seven game series for all the reasons that you have expressed. It seems more fair and realistic, really.

With football though, it is my belief that the sport is too grueling to have any sort of series for a playoff. And I don't mean to downplay the skill and talent it takes to play any other sport, nor the physical stress that is imposed on hockey players. But every play in football is a constant, violent bashfest at the line of scrimmage. I would not advise any sort of lengthening of a football season or playoffas long as football players want to have a worthwhile career.