Friday, February 10, 2012

Without Hesitation/No One Loves You Like I Do

Without Hesitation
Without Hesitation - Good Luck (No Idea, 2011)
Unfortunately, I had no idea Bloomington's pop punk superheroes had come out with an album in 2011! But, since it was released so close to the end (late November, I think), I'll make an exception and allow it to be considered for my 2012 year-end list. No worries. Obviously, that's a long time off. ANYWAY, on Without Hesitation, Good Luck follows 2008's Into Lake Griffy up with more complex, catchy and very bright sounding indie pop with a lean toward punk. This trio's musicianship is top notch, and thanks to the off-kilter structures and excellent jangly guitar tones, there's much more to these songs than just catchy melodies. "All Good People" is possibly my favorite album opener so far in 2012.

No One Loves You Like I Do
No One Loves You Like I Do - The Life and Times (Slimstyle, 2012)
Between Shiner and The Life and Times, Allen Epley should be among the more respectable guitarists of the past decade or two, but it seems that he is often forgotten. This is a shame, because he has been releasing consistently good post-hardcore and space rock (for lack of a better sub-genre title) for years. The LIfe and Times' latest, No One Loves You Like I Do, probably isn't as good as 2009's Tragic Boogie, but those heavenly distorted guitars and that tight, ferocious drumming are still there to draw me into these jams. Throw in some weird time signatures, pro musicianship, and that big production, and you've got another Allen Epley record that is not unlike Hum at their peak.

No comments: