Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Be the Void/Maraqopa/Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sea Lions but Were Afraid to Ask

Be the Void
Be the Void - Dr. Dog (Anti-, 2012)
I don't know any Dr. Dog songs or records before 2008's Fate, but they seem to be quite the consistent band. Of the records of theirs I have listened to, I haven't necessarily been obsessed with any of them, but they are yet to fail to impress me with their talent for pure 60s pop hooks, relatively complex, interesting song structures and arrangements, and melodies that are memorable as all hell. I don't think this year's Dr. Dog entry is as good as 2010's Shame, Shame, but Be the Void showcases the band's two best songs since Fate's "The Rabbit, the Bat, and the Reindeer" in "These Days" and "Heavy Light."


Maraqopa
Maraqopa - Damien Jurado (Secretly Canadian, 2012)
I've never really had much interest in the music of Damien Jurado, in spite of the fact that I have quite a few friends who outright love him. But, Tiny Mix Tapes gave his latest album a 4.5 rating out of 5, so I decided what the hell, and I am not disappointed one bit. Maraqopa features a folk sound that is rich and full while coming nowhere near feeling overwhelming. Jurado's vocals sound tastefully strained, and I'm sure his lyrics are fantastic, I just haven't gotten THAT deep with the record yet. Thankfully, it isn't just your typically nice folk music. "Nothing is the News" is an excellent opener, reminiscent of Nick Drake with full instrumentation. "Life Away From the Garden" is terrifically charming, but the real highlight here is "Reel to Reel," which features more of a Brian Wilson/Phil Spector sound. All around, Richard Swift's production is great, especially all the subtle touches. I'm happy to admit that Maraqopa is the first real pleasant surprise of 2012.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sea Lions but Were Afraid to Ask
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sea Lions but Were Afraid to Ask - Sea Lions (Slumberland, 2011)
Unsurprisingly, Sea Lions are another Slumberland records band that do a real good job of playing that jangly guitar pop stuff I've come to really love. The songs, not unlike those on Nodzzz's really good Innings from last year, are of the surf and garage variety, with a whole lot of twee thrown in. The bands that most frequently come to my mind are Love, Beat Happening, Orange Juice, The Dovers, and The Association. Released at the end of 2011, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sea Lions but Were Afraid to Ask is nothing mindblowing or out of the ordinary, but it is a high quality pop record with outstanding guitar tones, appropriate production, and memorable melodies.

No comments: