Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Shallow 7"/The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy/Paralytic Stalks

Shallow 7"
Shallow 7" - Beach Fossils (Captured Tracks, 2012)
Brooklyn's Beach Fossils continue their upward trajectory that began at the end of 2010 with two more outstanding tracks in all their goth-y, poppy, chimey guitar glory. I'm not sure that "Shallow" or "Lessons" are as good as the three best songs from last year's What a Pleasure EP, but they're damn close. I am very much looking forward to this full length that is supposed to be coming later this year.

The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy
The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy - Nada Surf (Barsuk, 2012)
Nada Surf has never really struck me as a band worth investing any time in. Harsh, I know, but they have always just seemed to play slow, over-produced, gentle indie pop that is too safe for its own good. Sorry, Trav. All of that being said, Bravender was finally able to sell me on the idea of checking out a Nada Surf record, and so I did. And, I must say, their latest, The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy, is impressive. Oh, the music is still relatively safe, but instead of being gentle, it is quite rocking. The musicianship here is awesome, and the melodies are high quality and ridiculously catchy, but not in a cheesy way whatsoever. "Clear Eye Clouded Mind" is an excellent way to open a record, and at first was my favorite song here, until I realized exactly how great the middle of the record is, especially "Teenage Dreams" and "Looking Through." The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy is a mainstream modern pop/rock record released by an independent label that does not feature anything new original, but is done incredibly well. It's early, but this is right up there with Field Music's Plumb as one of my favorite albums in 2012 thus far.

Paralytic Stalks
Paralytic Stalks - Of Montreal (Polyvinyl, 2012)
I've been listening to Of Montreal since the 2004 release of Satanic Panic in the Attic, and while Kevin Barnes knows how to compose and record an incredible song (check out "Lysergic Bliss" from SP in the A and "We Were Born the Mutants Again With Leafling" from Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?), I can't say I've outright loved any of their albums between then and now. I've even straight up disliked one or two of them. While I'm content with Of Montreal being more of an individual song type of band to me, I was presently surprised by how rewarding Paralytic Stalks, their 11th album, is. It is a continuation of the glammy, psychedelic, disco infused sound that Barnes and co. have been encapsulating since 2005's The Sunlandic Twins, and though there aren't any truly terrific standout tracks, Paralytic Stalks works as one large piece, in spite of the difficult moments found late in the album. It is overwhelmingly scatterbrained and probably a bit too long, but there are quite a few brilliant moments and hooks-a-plenty. I'm actually surprised by how good of an entry this is to Of Montreal's catalog, especially considering how late in their career it comes. But, whatever. I'll take it.

No comments: