Saturday, January 28, 2012

You're a Horrible Person, but I Like You/Rabbit, Run/Hocus Pocus

You're a Horrible Person, but I Like You
You're a Horrible Person, but I Like You - The Believer (2010)
The Believer presents a collection of fake advice columns from a wide variety of talented and popular comedians as well as comedic writers and producers (Tim & Eric, Michael Ian Black/Michael Showalter, Patton Oswalt, Judd Apatow, etc.). The idea is great, but an entire book full of these is way too much, and the humor gets old and incredibly awkward (mostly in an unfunny way). I don't know. Whatever.

Rabbit, Run
Rabbit, Run - John Updike (1960)
A tragic story with a somewhat predictable albeit excellent ending, Rabbit, Run is another one of those novels where just about every character is unrelatable if not completely unlikeable, but is still thoroughly enjoyable to read. John Updike's masterful descriptive language may get tedious and in the way of the plot at times, but, he sure knows how to weave an awesomely dark tale of lust, indecision and self-deception. Rabbit, Run's depressing plot is relentless, but in the best way, and main character Rabbit Angstrom is one of the worst human beings, and I love Updike for creating him. Looking forward to reading the sequels at some point down the road.

Hocus Pocus
Hocus Pocus - Kurt Vonnegut (1990)
In 2011, I read Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat's Cradle and was annoyed more than won over by Kurt Vonnegut's flowery language and inspiring cynicism. I figured I'd give him another try with Hocus Pocus, which is a sprawling narrative that I found more difficult to follow than the Thomas Pynchon and David Foster Wallace novels I've read. From the start of Hocus Pocus, Vonnegut's sci-fi hippy poetry was a huge strike against him and a major distraction from the admittedly interesting plot (which I had to get off of Wikipedia). I refuse to spend the time dedicating any more thought and effort into this blurb for a novel that I didn't really enjoy reading whatsoever.

1 comment:

eric said...

"I don't know. Whatever" = Best review line I've read in 2012!