Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Towelhead/Tortilla Flat

Towelhead
Towelhead - Alicia Erian (2005)
In spite of the mind-numbingly simple narration, Towelhead is one of the most disturbing novels I have read in sometime. Taking place near Houston, Texas in the very early 1990s, it touches on such depressing topics as racism, war, pedophilia and statutory rape. Fun! The 13 year-old main protagonist is emotionally and/or physically abused and exploited by at least three other characters, and it is heartbreaking. The protagonist/narrator's naive perspective and a handful of the events that take place are a little bit head-scratching and unbelievable, but that didn't ruin the the weight of the story too much. Towelhead is still pretty good for the most part, but it's not the kind of novel I imagine myself reading ever again.

Tortilla Flat
Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck (1935)
Granted, it seemed that whenever I was reading this book, which was when I was at work, most often during a double that I had picked up, I was incredibly tired and distracted. But, this early Steinbeck novel was pretty much just words to me. My eyes were following the words on the page, but my tired brain was not processing what was going on. I will admit that what did register from Tortilla Flat was a bland tale of friends stealing, drinking wine and generally goofing around. This is the first time Steinbeck has disappointed me.

No comments: