Monday, February 16, 2009

Weekly Listening Roundup #6

Dirt
Dirt - Alice in Chains (Columbia, 1992)
Last Friday, I heard Alice in Chains' "Would?" via 89X on the way to work. I never listen to the radio, like, ever, and it was between switching out CDs. However, I was compelled to stop and shamefully allow the song to play its course. I had completely forgotten that "Would?" was one of my favorite songs back in fifth or sixth grade. Oddly, I noticed some things that made me appreciate the song more than ever before; things that I would have never even thought to pay attention to back then. This inspired me to go back and listen to 1992's Dirt. As of just a few weeks ago, I would have agreed to the claim that Alice in Chains are one of the worst things to ever happen to the grunge scene. I was stupid then. There are some serious jams here, far beyond the singles (which all are awesome). What blew my mind listening to it now, is how they were so heavy and sinister sounding compared to other grunge bands at the time. They truly bridged the gap between 80s metal, butt rock, and modern 90s alternative rock. And some of the chord progressions, time signatures and harmonies are truly bone-blowing. I can't believe I'm saying this, but what a record!
Top jams: "Them Bones," "Dam That River," "Down in a Hole," "Rooster," "Dirt," "Would?"

Sha Sha
Sha Sha - Ben Kweller (ATO, 2002)
Right around the release of Ben Kweller's debut, Sha Sha, I recall him being viewed as a child prodigy of sorts. Then he got really uncool really fast. I purchased this record the day before I moved away for my freshman year at college. It had quite a consistent role in my music listening habits during that first semester. The lyrics on Sha Sha are very young and clever, almost to an annoying degree, and I realize this now. In addition to this, there is nothing new to be found anywhere. There are some Beatles tunes Ben Folds tunes, and most frequent, some hard rockin' Weezer jams. This did not phase me back when, especially the Weezer-ish tunes, which to this day are still pretty awesome. There is a little too much drama throughout the record, and I feel a little too old to be into it now, but for this dude's age at the time, he really did a great job at paying tribute to his idols. All in all, I am able to look past these newer revelations and still take this for what it is: a solid pop album.
Top jams: "How It Should Be," "Wasted & Ready," "Family Tree," "Commerce, TX," "Harriet's Got a Song," "Falling"

IV
IV - Led Zeppelin (Atlantic, 1971)
Is this supposed to be THE Led Zeppelin album? I feel like I've read that somewhere. Well, I've been missing out. Last week was the first time I've even listened to this sucker, in spite of my brother-in-law being a big fan. He decided to push Rush on me instead, I guess. Anyway, there definitely were some familiar tracks, of course ("Black Dog," "Stairway to Heaven," "When the Levee Breaks"), but those aren't even close to the best offered here (unlike "Misty Mountain Hop" with its tremendous groove, and the folky "Going to California," which I think are). And the production, let me tell you about the production. It is AWESOME. I can't believe how good those drums sound. I'm not sure if that's John Bonham's doing or the engineer, but MAN, they sound great. This is one of the major reasons why I was so impressed with the album. Well, that and the fact that Bonham just tears it up on the kit. It doesn't hurt that most of the songs are good. I'm not a "Stairway to Heaven" fan, though.
Top jams: "Rock and Roll," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Going to California"

Houses of the Holy
Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin (Atlantic, 1973)
In my opinion, Houses of the Holy is easily the superior album to IV. It's not that there is any disparity in sound quality or performance between the two. Simply put, this just has better songs, and more of 'em. I've always liked "Over the Hills and Far Away," but I think it might be top tier worthy on my favorite songs of all time list (which I will probably never compile, unfortunately). Hs of the H mixes Zep's bad assery with great beauty, which isn't anything out of the ordinary for them, but they do it best here. And "D'yer Mak'er" is like, an awesome, legitimate pop song.
Top jams: "Over the Hills and Far Away," "The Crunge," "Dancing Days," "D'yer Mak'er"

Go Forth
Go Forth - Les Savy Fav (Frenchkiss, 2001)
The first time I ever heard Les Savy Fav was at the 2005 Intonation Music Festival, which was curated by Pitchfork. It was one of the most entertaining performances I have ever seen. I was hoping this intensity and energy would translate perfectly to record when I purchased 2001's Go Forth at that very fest, and initially I was disappointed. I saw them again in 2008 and still felt the same way, even though I liked the band's 2007 triumphant return, Let's Stay Friends, better than this (and still do). This time around, I can admit that Go Forth is a better artsy punk record than I was originally willing to give it credit for. It is solid. Not every song is awesome or anything, but there are some rare moments where that live energy is perfectly intact, and those accompany the best songs. There is some fairly innovative stuff going on, mainly in the guitar riffs, and the band is obviously talented. Just not the best punk-ish band around, on recording.
Top jams: "Tragic Monsters," "Reprobate's Resume," "The Slip," "Adopduction," "No Sleeves"

Forever Changes
Forever Changes - Love (Elektra, 1967)
"Alone Again Or" has been one of my favorite songs for several years now, but it took me quite a while to realize the overall genius of Love's 1960s psychadelic pop classic, Forever Changes. In a book I read about Belle & Sebastian's seminal If You're Feeling Sinister, it was said that Love played a crucial role in the development of Stuart Murdoch's early musical ideas. I hadn't noticed this, and though I don't think it's as obvious as the book made it seem, I can sort of see how Love was a very early incarnation of that twee sound. Maybe Forever Changes is a little darker, and psychadelia definitely comes in to play way more here than with B&S, but this makes for a really unique and beautiful listening experience.
Top jams: "Alone Again Or," "Andmoreagain," "The Daily Planet," "Maybe the People Would be the Time or, Between Clark and Hilldale," "The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This," "You Set the Score"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard Les Savy Fav's Inches? From what I gather it's got some stigma from being a compendium of nine 7"s they released but I tell you: it completely rules. My first album by them and still my favorite.