Monday, December 24, 2012

Shields/Talent/I Know What Love Isn't/Fear and Doubt EP/Silver Age

Shields
Shields - Grizzly Bear (Warp, 2012)
Pitchfork seemed to LOVE the new Grizzly Bear album just as much if not more so than their last two, and I have no idea why. On first listen, I thought it was pure shit. And I really liked both Yellow House and Veckatimest. I've since come around. It is a solid album with virtually no standout tracks, and really nothing memorable about it, except for the fact that, like I said, it is solid. Ok, "Gun-Shy" is a jam, but aside from that everything just runs together. All the guitars sound the same, there are no cool, fancy production tricks, all the vocal melodies are just there and blend in with everything else. The mood and atmosphere here is much more along the lines of Yellow House, which is very appealing (if I have one complaint about Veckatimest, it is that it was a little TOO polished and poppy, and the ghostly vibe of Yellow House is a little more preferable). But, I don't know. I feel like I should still hate this, because it is really really boring. But it's Grizzly Bear. They are talented dudes, and Shields is still sort of good sometimes, when it doesn't put me to sleep.

Talent
Talent - Heavenly Beat (Captured Tracks, 2012)
Heavenly Beat's John Pena has spent time with Beach Fossils, one of the more underrated bands around, if you ask me. I'm not really sure how to describe Talent, his debut full-length, aside from it certainly fits on Captured Tracks: reverb, 80s, bouncy bass, low key and sad singing, etc. I guess you could say it's brighter and even more chill than the usual suspects due to the overwhelming presence of acoustic guitar, cheesy synth strings and soft drum machine instead of the typical new wave/goth-pop feel of the other CT bands I love. On Talent, Heavenly Beat doesn't come close to those other bands, but this is still totally good, and fun and dance-y in the most subtle of ways.

I Know What Love Isn't
I Know What Love Isn't - Jens Lekman (Secretly Canadian, 2012)
Finally, Jens Lekman's follow-up LP to 2007's utterly brilliant Night Falls Over Kortedala. Unfortunately, it is only good, not great. There is not nearly as much variety as I've grown accustomed to on a Lekman release. Also, the songs just simply aren't as good as we all know he's capable of. To me, it almost feels like he just mailed this one in. The arrangements are as gorgeous as ever though, and that's what keeps I Know What Love Isn't afloat among the other good or better albums of 2012.

Fear and Doubt EP
Fear and Doubt EP - Lightships (Geographic, 2012)
Earlier this year I discovered this little Teenage Fanclub side project called Lightships (featuring Gerard Love). An LP titled Electric Cables was released, and it was great in all of its Byrdsian glory. Several months later the Fear and Doubt EP appears, with "Silver and Gold" from the LP and three unreleased tracks (I assume that were recorded in the same seesions). The EP is more of the same, but that is not a bad thing, as the songs continue to be beautiful. The opener/title track is the nicest jam.

Silver Age
Silver Age - Bob Mould (Merge, 2012)
Alternative rock! In the truest sense. Bob Mould (Husker Du/Sugar) really nailed it here. I haven't listened to Sugar a ton, but that is pretty much what Silver Age reminds me of. Awesome production all around (guitars and drums both sound most excellent), and Mould's voice still has some power. And, the songs... Whew boy! "The Descent" and "First Time Joy," especially. Admittedly, my passion for this record has waned a little with each listen, it is still a doozy with great throwback qualities. Fun fact: On my very first listen, I predicted that it would be Bravender's favorite album of 2012. Guess what? TRAVISROCK.

No comments: