Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I'm Going to Kill Myself/Lonerism/Floral Green/Good Vibes

I'm Going to Kill Myself
I'm Going to Kill Myself - Sneeze (self-released, 2012)
Gnarly, fuzzy pop punk with the shittiest but still cool sounding distorted guitars. The lo-fi quality here is a nice contrast to this typically nicely produced genre. It definitely adds to the 90s feel going on, and adds a cool sense of griminess that sits well with the album's title. "Canker," "Bad Head," "Crumb" and "Red Bullgirls" are delicious.

Lonerism
Lonerism - Tame Impala (Modular, 2012)
2010's Innerspeaker was good, but this follow-up, Lonerism, is so great it almost makes me sick. It is perfect through seven songs, and then things get really weird and interesting, which is not a knock on the record by any means. It's just that it's a little bit of an awkward transition, even if it only helps the album's status as possibly the most memorable (memorable, not BEST) one of 2012. The guitars, synths and drums (thanks to Dave Fridmann's mixing job once again) are all incredible sounding, and help to make Lonerism not just an awesome psych-pop album, but a futuristic masterpiece that sounds like absolutely nothing else. There are way too many inspiring moments to begin to even think about commenting on them individually. Yes, I am GUSHING.

Floral Green
Floral Green - Title Fight (Side One Dummy, 2012)
Wow. I don't know that I have the appropriate words to describe exactly how good Title Fight's latest LP, Floral Green, is. Perfect? Um... yes, I think so. If not, then pretty darn close. Exquisitely produced? Definitely. Great melodic, shout-y vocals? Yep. Makes you nostalgic for your high school days when you were really into music like this (melodic, poppy, emo-y hardcore punk)? For sure. Smart chord progressions and wonderfully layered, outstanding sounding guitars that make you feel the same way you did when listening to last year's Fucked Up record, David Comes to Life? Uh huh. Songs to boot? Oh my god, YES. Title Fight have improved tenfold since last years very good Shed. This sounds like old Title Fight mixed with Small Brown Bike with some Hum thrown in for good measure. It is unfair how good they have become.

Good Vibes EP
Good Vibes EP - William Bonney (Songs From the Road/Sometimes I Get Drunk, 2012)
More music that brings me back to my high school and early college years. Earlier in 2012, I posted about a split EP from these guys with another similar-minded band called Droughts. This EP is all William Bonney, though, and I dig it. Melodic hardcore/screamo/whatever with memorable licks and formidable musicianship as the main stars. Yup, I'm into it.

No comments: