Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Mature Themes/Family Business/Runner/Falling/Sirs

Mature Themes
Mature Themes - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti (4AD, 2012)
Somehow, Mature Themes is both more accessible (in ways) and a lot weirder than what has to be considered Ariel Pink's seminal album now, 2010's Before Today. Sure, the latter has some silly songs, but I'd say the overall feel, sonically and thematically, is darker and more serious. I mean, Mature Themes has songs called "Kinski Assassin," "Schnitzel Boogie," "Symphony of the Nymph," "Pink Slime" and "Farewell American Primitive," all of which have appropriately clever and hilarious lyrics. And guess what? These really are great songs on a sonic level, too. Like pre-Before Today, the structures of these songs are little more complex, and Pink's band is as impressive as ever. Funky bass, swirling synths, jangly and chimey guitars, and Pink's variety of character voices all dominate Mature Themes, and, yeah, it rules. I'm tempted to say that I prefer this to Before Today, but it doesn't even matter. I'm having a harder time trying to decide if the title track or "Only in My Dreams" is the album's best track.

Family Business
Family Business - Prayer Breakfast (Flannelgraph/Crossroads of America, 2012)
Prayer Breakfast are sort of a Bloomington, IN supergroup, featuring members of Memory Map/ex-Rapider Than Horsepower, Husband & Wife/Mike Adams at His Honest Weight, and Sleeping Bag/ex-Arrah and the Ferns. I have been waiting for this full length for some time, and I am so glad it finally came to fruition. Family Business is definitely along some of the same lines as a lot of the 90s revival that is going on right now, but there are a few things that set it apart. I am way into the subtle, loose, almost lazy drumming (don't get me wrong, the dude RULES). Also, to me, the vocals sort of sound like a mix of Jeff Mangum and Jeremy Enigk. The music is definitely in the realm of Built to Spill and Pavement, but there are enough quirks to keep ya on your toes. Definitely a welcome inclusion on the list of quality 2012 music.

Runner
Runner - The Sea and Cake (Thrill Jockey, 2012)
The Sea and Cake are yet to release an album that is less than GREAT, and this year's Runner is just par for the course. Not as many standout jams as I'm used to be, as a whole, it is just about unstoppable.  If anything, I'll admit that the band gets more subtle and heavier on atmosphere with each release, but otherwise, the sounds here are pretty much what you'd expect. The albums bookends, "On and On" and "The Runner" are two of their best songs yet. I am glad to say that they are still my second favorite band of all time.

Falling
Falling - Seapony (Hardly Art, 2012)
Not much different from last year's Go With Me, on their latest, Falling, Seapony continue to play safe, jangly, surfy indie pop with nods to 80s production and dreamy female vocals (which certainly can get boring). I would argue that Falling is a slight improvement thanks to four outright jams ("Outside," "Follow," "Be Alone" and ESPECIALLY "See Me Cry").

Sirs
Sirs - Sirs (Topshelf, 2012)
Another band that I've been looking forward to a full length from for a while now. These Sirs dudes play awesomely upbeat and intense emo that lands somewhere in between classic Braid and Bear Vs. Shark, maybe? They've softened up a tiny bit since they're fantastic 2010 debut EP, Vas Deferens, but there's still plenty of energy to go around. Yelpy but melodic vocals, gorgeous, sometimes jangly guitars and precise drumming right up my alley. Though this self-titled full length didn't end up being quite as great as I was hoping, there is absolutely nothing for me to complain about.

No comments: