Thursday, July 21, 2011

Real Estate @ The Magic Stick Lounge, 7/18/11

Real Estate
In preparation for the October release of their second full length, Days, I could not pass up the opportunity to see Jersey by way of Brooklyn band, Real Estate, live. The smaller, stripped down version of Detroit's Magic Stick, the Magic Stick Lounge, was an appropriate setting. The band's jangly and chimey guitars sounded perfect in that room, and though their sound is tame, it seemed like the boys were truly enjoying themselves with the intimate and enthusiastic crowd.

I couldn't really have asked for a better set. Real Estate played my two favorite jams from their 2009 self-titled debut, "Beach Comber" and "Fake Blues," plus "Suburban Dogs," which features some of the most gorgeous, shimmering guitars since, I don't know, early 2000s Death Cab for Cutie? Believe it. The highlight was probably their latest single and best song yet, "Out of Tune." Beyond that, their set was dominated with new material, and I had no complaints.

Real Estate are the perfect band to spend a hot summer evening with. Their ballads and more upbeat numbers have a lazy feel that is perfect for this time of year. I was really blown away by all the new songs, especially the one they opened with, which featured a wonderful extended jam that I never really wanted to end. The songs on Days seem to be more focused, upbeat guitar pop, and I am totally okay with that. I wouldn't be surprised if the album ends up being my favorite of the year.

No comments: