Thursday, September 6, 2012

Troll 2/Degrassi - The Next Generation: Season Nine

Troll 2
Troll 2 (1990)
Written and directed by Drake Floyd

In title alone, Troll 2 is the sequel to the dark 1986 cult fantasy film Troll (which I've never seen). As far as I can tell, the comparisons end there. Troll 2 is an awesomely terrible campy horror film showcasing the worst plot, script and cast possible. Also, there are no trolls here. This is a film about goblins! From my understanding, some dude bought the rights to the name Troll 2 with the hope that billing it as the sequel to its moderately successful predecessor would then lead to impressive viewership. Dude took the film in a completely different direction on a shoestring budget, and Troll 2 was born. I was expecting supreme, hilarious gore and little else, but what I received instead was a completely incoherent storyline, nonsensical dialogue and incredibly shitty acting. Thus, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this.

Degrassi: The Next Generation (Season 9)
Degrassi - The Next Generation: Season Nine (2009-2010)
I haven't been too vocal about it on the internet, but MAN, I love the Canadian high school drama Degrassi: The Next Generation. I was first turned on to it by my friend Brandon who sold it to me as so bad, its good, and that was the way my relationship was with the show for about a year or so. Now, while the acting and script writing really are quite poor (and the writers seem pretty clueless about the taste of a modern young person), I have come to realize that Degrassi: The Next Generation is legitimately good on several levels. First off, considering how young its viewership is, the show is very cutting edge, touching on issues that no American teen-oriented show comes close to touching (homosexuality, gender confusion, rape, teen pregnancy, physical and mental disability, murder, abortion, cocaine and meth addiction, being a Canadian high school student who is in a rock band that gets big in LA on summer break, LARP-ing, to name several). The serious issues are tackled in a dramatic, touching way, creating wonderfully tense moments, and the ridiculous issues make for really fun episodes. Secondly, as over the top as the acting can be, it was really easy to grow immensely attached to pretty much every character I came across. These characters are extremely compelling in every way, even the mean-spirited and tremendously stupid ones. Sure, there are plenty of flaws in most aspects of Degrassi: The Next Generation, but they are charming and easy to shrug off because they will make you laugh. I purchased the ninth season, which my appreciation for the show really jumped to a whole new level, on DVD for $5, and I do not regret it one bit. It even comes with a healthy number of shorts and even a two hour-long Degrassi: The Next Generation movie! If this post makes you lose respect for me, then screw you!

No comments: