Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Art of Fielding/The Diving Bell and the Butterfly/Blankets

The Art of Fielding
The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach (2011)
Chad Harbach's critically acclaimed debut novel, The Art of Fielding, was one of those rare reading experiences where I was so invested in the characters that I had a hard time putting it down. So, I ended up reading the 500+ page book in five days. Yes, baseball plays a huge role in the plot, and as a fan of that sport, it certainly contributed to the amount of which I enjoyed it. But, you don't have to be a baseball fan to appreciate these diverse, quirky, vibrant characters and this tale of love, ambition and overcoming the hardships of public potential gone awry (the main character is a highly lauded baseball prospect). There's one crucial plot point that is so incredibly messed up, which I am usually into, but was a bit difficult to get around. Harbach's prose was a little too laid back for me, considering the intricacy of the details, but that is basically my only complaint. The guy sure knows how to write a compelling, complex and challenging yet enjoyable story.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby (1997)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is an english translation of a French memoir written by journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. I'm not that into memoirs, but I wanted to read something easy and short while dog-sitting for some friends in Ypsilanti. While completely depressing to me, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly fit the bill. At the end of 1995, Bauby suffered a stroke and entered a coma, only to wake up with a condition called locked-in syndrome. With a lot of help, Bauby composed this memoir to detail the life and thoughts of someone burdened with this condition. I know this is insensitive, as this is a truly tragic story, but the memoir's artistic imagery and poetic style did virtually nothing for me, and I was bored through most of it. That being said, the struggle and effort that was put into writing this is extremely commendable as is the hope and spirit represented within. As far as my preferred style of reading material, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly just isn't really my thing.

Blankets
Blankets - Craig Thompson (2003)
The graphic novel Blankets is Craig Thompson's gorgeously drawn and splendidly written claim to fame. The only possible way it could not touch you in deeply emotional ways is if you literally lacked a heart. Blankets is a coming-of-age story about being raised in a conservative Christian home and finding one's first love. I will admit that at times, Thompson gets a little heavy handed here, but it was incredibly easy to find elements in the story and characters to relate to. This book hit me hard and brought out the inner sensitive, emotional wuss in me. Completely soul crushing in the best way.

1 comment:

EJP said...

Big love for blankets.

Both the novel & the soft cuddly pieces of fabric.