Sunday, July 1, 2012

Prometheus/Moonrise Kingdom

Prometheus
Prometheus (2012)
Written by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof, directed by Ridley Scott
It has been quite a while since I had been so excited to see a film in the theater. I know that reviews for Prometheus have been relatively mixed (though, good for the most part, right?). I, however, thought it was a complete knock out. Ridley Scott tried to downplay the degree to which Prometheus is a direct prequel to his 1979 sci-fi/horror classic Alien, and I believe he failed. I will say that, perhaps, Prometheus might not cover the particular subject one might suspect quite as much as desired. Anyway, I am of the opinion that this film should go down as one of the absolute greatest summer blockbusters of our time. Sure, it's not perfect. I have complaints about some of the plot points and a lot of the ridiculous decisions and unbelievable reactions of the characters (I'm being vague because I don't want to give ANYTHING away). It's pacing is a little bit quicker than I was hoping, too. But, visually, Prometheus is absolutely stunning, and the acting is quite impressive (mainly Michael Fassbender). My issues with the plot are minuscule, and even if everything unravels too quickly, I still love the way it all happens. There are plenty of moments to jump at, too, and the violence and gore is fun and certainly shocking. If you're a fan of or at least interested in the Alien series, I know you're going to see this. But, you should do yourself a favor and see it regardless. And, if you're disappointed by it, I don't know what to tell you. You're crazy.

Moonrise Kingdom
Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
Written by Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, directed by Wes Anderson
Usually I go into Wes Anderson films with huge expectations. Even though I had already gathered that Moonrise Kingdom was a sort of return to form for Anderson, I still was able to keep my expectations non-existent when I went to see it the other day. It's obvious now that nothing will ever touch The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) or Rushmore (1998). But, still, after Moonrise Kingdom finished, I couldn't help but walk away feeling that it was Anderson's best since The Life Aquatic (2004). A lot of Anderson's usual elements are present: dry, quirky dialogue spoken by ridiculous, fairy tale characters, dysfunctional family, Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman, vibrant colors, and symmetrical, ultra intentional cinematography. What sets Moonrise Kingdom apart a little is that the cast is made up predominantly of children. If you typically like Wes Anderson's work, then there's no reason for you to dislike this, but, also, I don't really see it winning over any new fans. That being said, Moonrise Kingdom is a wonderful addition to Anderson's filmography. It is whimsical in a charming way, and really, a lot funnier than I was expecting, thanks to the memorable characters and performances. DO IT.