Thursday, May 31, 2012

Breaking Bad: Seasons One, Two and Three

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3
Breaking Bad: Seasons One, Two and Three (2008-2010)
Towards the end of my first year living in Ypsilanti, my bud Abbott introduced me to a newer AMC drama by the name of Breaking Bad. This was in the late spring of 2009, so, while the second season was airing, I do believe. At that time, we cruised through the first two seasons, and for one reason or another, I got too busy and was never able to finish the second one with him.

Fast forward to the spring of 2012, and I decided to rewatch every Breaking Bad episode I had already seen, and continue all the way through the third season, thanks to Instant Netflix. Now, this show is very popular and very well received, critically, so, I'm not going to spend too much time on this post. If you happen to not be in the know, the series is about an over-qualified high school chemistry teacher (played superbly by Bryan Cranston) who is suffering from a terminal case of cancer and decides to team up with a former student (possibly the most memorable performance of the series thanks to Aaron Paul) to secretly cook and distribute meth to provide finances enough for his family in preparation for the upcoming birth of his second child and his impending death. As half-assed as that description is, you should already be hooked on the idea of watching it. And, don't you worry, the plot gets increasingly complex and the details more and more disturbing as the series goes on.

I have a deep appreciation for the dark subject matter and increasingly intricate plot details that Breaking Bad has to offer. But, I think I have to admit that the top sell for me is extraordinary acting for a non-HBO drama series. I anxiously await the fourth season to be available on Netflix, as my friend Brian boldly (and probably rightfully) claims it is the greatest season of television he has viewed in his life.

No comments: