Thursday, May 24, 2012

Break It Yourself/Giant Orange/Gallery EP

Break It Yourself
Break It Yourself - Andrew Bird (Bella Union/Mom & Pop, 2012)
Andrew Bird's latest LP, Break It Yourself, is nothing to freak out about, but considering the lack of which I cared about it, I am pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy it. While I can't deny the dude's obvious talent, I haven't really been into anything Bird has done aside from 2007's Armchair Apocrypha. The 2009 follow-up, Noble Beast, was nice but forgettable, and actually, I feel the same about 2005's critically acclaimed Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs. Anyway, Break It Yourself is a little more energetic than Bird's previous solo outings, but otherwise is more of the same. The album features some gorgeous songs for sure, and maybe Bird's brand of grandiose, artful folk is at its most mature here, but I guess I'm just not nearly as interested in this kind of music as I was back in my Sufjan Stevens days. That being said, Break It Yourself is more than just solid and certainly is a respectable entry in the genre.

Giant Orange
Giant Orange - Cheap Girls (Rise, 2012)
I feel like I mention him in almost every single one of my posts, but I must thank Bravender for tipping me off to Cheap Girls a couple years ago. It's stupid that I just now decided to finally listen to them. Giant Orange is  easily one of the best releases of 2012 so far. Their sound is an obvious nod to the alternative rock of 90s lore, most comparable to Dinosaur Jr., Gin Blossoms, and even Weezer at moments. One of the most attractive elements of the album is definitely that feeling of nostalgia that comes with it, but more importantly, these songs are killer. The record is loaded with hooks and memorable melodies, "Gone All Summer," "Manhattan on Mute," and "Pacer" featuring the best. Giant Orange is an early contender for album of the year.

Gallery EP
Gallery EP - Craft Spells (Captured Tracks, 2012)
Craft Spells have not changed much since their delightful 2011 LP, Idle Labor, and I am completely fine with that. They're still on the popular New Order/Cure kick, just doing it even better this time around. Idle Labor was arguably excellent, the production and songs on Gallery are just of an even higher quality. Great melodies, synth sounds, etc. "Burst" and "Sun Trails" are JAMS.

No comments: