Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bee Thousand/Jinx: The Definitive Collection

33 1/3 #38: Guided by Voices' Bee Thousand
33 1/3 #38: Guided by Voices' Bee Thousand - Marc Woodworth (2006)
I've completely slacked on my intake of Guided by Voices records, but even though I've never listened to Bee Thousand all the way through, this is one of the better entries in the 33 1/3 series. Here, the author's voice is not the only one heard, as there are contributions from many, including members of the band themselves. Aside from beating the way the album was recorded to death, it was interesting to read about Robert Pollard's collage art (which is a nice parallel to the way he composes his songs and assembles his bands and sequences his records). I obviously would have gotten more out of it had I been familiar with the songs on Bee Thousand, but the variety of perspectives helped me to maintain interest in the material. Now it's about time for me to listen.

Jinx: The Definitive Collection
Jinx: The Definitive Collection - Brian Michael Bendis (1996-98)
While I enjoyed Brian Michael Bendis' disturbing true crime graphic novel Torso considerably more, Jinx is an excellent, complex crime series that features some truly lovable and fascinating characters. The story is solid, but what makes Jinx so fun to read is the clever, often times hilarious dialogue. The mysteries within may get solved a little too quickly for my liking, but that's just about my only complaint. I most definitely intend to read more of Bendis' work in the future.

No comments: