Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Emotional Listening #20

Skeleton
Skeleton - Abe Vigoda (Post Present Medium, 2008)
Who knew that Abe Vigoda's third LP Skeleton, would come to be one of my favorite modern guitar albums? Forming as a result of the No Age/Mika Miko/The Smell LA punk rock scene, it's not surprising that the band is constantly thinking and moving forward and their sound is always unique. Before going all 80s post-punk on 2010's Crush, Abe Vigoda played an artful brand of punk that was highlighted by tropical rhythms, bright, high pitched guitar tones and some insanely tight drumming. Skeleton has a few shortcomings, but they are minute easy to overlook. While the drums sounds classy, the production can feel a little dense between the vocals being buried (and not the most melodic) and some of the harsher guitar tones. Also, I would be the first to admit that the songs all blend together and can be difficult to discern, even after many listens. When I listen to Skeleton, I think of it as many fragments formulating an album as opposed to a record featuring 14 songs, which makes for an attractive and different style of listening experience. Lastly, the record may be one song too long. I could do without the title track, or at the very least, "Skeleton" was the wrong choice for album closer. "Endless Sleeper" should have been it. What I like about the record is many things. I am way into the hyper-reggaeton drumming, even if it all starts to sound the same after a while. The dude has a nice touch and place some impressive beats. I actually like the challenging vocals, as they add an unsettling element to this music that is otherwise very melodic and catchy (at it's most crisp moments, at least). But, mainly, it's the guitars. I love the way these dudes play their guitars. I love the way they sound, and how for much of the album, both guitarists are pretty much exclusively playing lead parts that intermingle wonderfully with each other. The best examples of this are opener "Dead City/Waste Wilderness" and "The Garden." Those are probably the two best songs, also. You should be able to tell how excited I am about this record based on how long this entry is.
Top jams: "Dead City/Waste Wilderness," "Bear Face," "Cranes," "Live-Long," "The Garden," "Hyacinth Girls," "World Heart," "Endless Sleeper"

Last Splash
Last Splash - The Breeders (4AD/Elektra, 1993)
I feel like at least 75% of these entries start off the same way. Something along the lines of, "It's a shame that I haven't really gotten into this record until now. I'm an idiot for sleeping on it." Well, it may have become a lame cliche, but these sentiments are especially true for The Breeders' second and breakthrough (I think, right?) LP, Last Splash. You know, the one with "Cannonball." Why have I never cared that much before? Great question. I would say Last Splash is your typical yet high quality indie rock that would fit in somewhere with Pixies, Nirvana and Pavement, etc. The guitars are gnarly as hell, and Kim Deal is on top of her game, melodically. I'm surprised by how weird the album can be in places. As good of an opener as "Near Year" is, it is an interesting choice. Additionally, the inclusion of a cover of "Drivin' on 9" by Ed's Redeeming Qualities is bizarre. It's obvious why "Cannonball" was the album's hit, but certainly there are better songs, such as "Invisible Man," "No Aloha" and the album's best track, "Divine Hammer," which has to be my favorite song at the moment.
Top jams: "New Year," "Cannonball," "Invisible Man," "No Aloha," "Do You Love Me Now?," "Flipside," "I Just Wanna Get Along," "Divine Hammer," "Hag"

Post-Nothing
Post-Nothing - Japandroids (Unfamiliar, 2009)
When Post-Nothing, Japandroids' debut LP, was first release in 2009, I knew it was good. I loved the slightly shoegaze guitars and upbeat rhythms, even if I thought the songwriting was a bit spotty. My interest in the album was revitalized recently for whatever reason, and in retrospect, I glazed over an entirely important detail: vocally, melodically, and rhythmically, this album is SO emo. And I mean that as a compliment. Post-Nothing showcases some awesome 90s emo chords, and there are moments in these songs where I wonder how much these dudes are honorably aping Braid and The Promise Ring. "Young Hearts Spark Fire" is the greatest offender, and easily the best song here. Very much looking forward to the release of their next full-length, Celebration Rock, this coming June.
Top jams: "The Boys Are Leaving Town," "Young Hearts Spark Fire," "Wet Hair," "Rockets East Vancouver," "Sovereignty," "I Quit Girls"

No comments: