Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Unbearable Lightness of Being/The War of the Worlds

The Unbearable Lightness of Being
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera (1984)
A lot of people I know on Goodreads rated this highly. Sorry guys, I hated it! Way too much propagandizing, philosophizing and struggling with the idea of true love vs. random, enjoyable sex. Considering that there is nothing really magical or fantastical occurring within the plot, these characters are way too unbelievable, and the language way too flowery/poetic. Also, the way Milan Kundera writes (at least here) is annoyingly cyclical/repetitive. He really layed out and forced his shit on you. I was so overwhelmed by the same, obnoxious ideas and arguments, it made me sick (not literally). There were one or two moments where I was truly touched, but aside from that, I thought The Unbearable Lightness of Being was just terrible. Am I narrow-minded or not analytical enough? Someone explain to me why I'm supposed to like this novel.

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells (1898)
I was not surprised at all by how creepy this H.G. Wells classic is, considering that I was very much weirded out by The Island of Dr. Moreau. The War of the Worlds was a bit more dry than I was hoping, and the star of the novel was its setting and environment aside from any of its bland characters. I was expecting it to be preachier than it is, and it wasn't difficult to get around that anyway thanks to how easy it was to simply appreciate the eerie mood and terrifying events that were written about in such an impressive manner. This all made for a unique novel that anyone who likes to read half as much as I do should experience.

No comments: