Saturday, December 3, 2011

Parallax/Radiant Door EP/When I Talk to You

Parallax
Parallax - Atlas Sound (4AD, 2011)
I won't deny that since 2008's brilliant Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See but Cannot Feel, each Atlas Sound record since has gotten more boring and less good. Granted, 2009's Logos featured what is probably my favorite Bradford Cox song to date, the Panda Bear-assisted "Walkabout," in spite of being boring (and still quite good) otherwise. Anyway, Cox's latest, Parallax, like I stated before, is even more boring! Yet, somehow, it still features some top notch jams. "Praying Man" in particular, with it's layers of acoustic guitars playing minor chords, is the best, followed by "Te Amo" with it's weird and pretty piano loop and overall atmosphere. I could do without the ambient tracks at the end, and some of the ballads are pretty lame too, but there are enough quality songs to save the record from the fire. Parallax is not bad by any means (I wouldn't be writing about it if I didn't like it), it just does not come close to the expectations I've come to expect from Bradford Cox.

Radiant Door EP
Radiant Door EP - Crystal Stilts (Sacred Bones, 2011)
Surprisingly and quickly, Crystal Stilts have followed up their great sophomore full length, In Love With Oblivion with the Radiant Door EP, this time coming from Sacred Bones Records. Radiant Door doesn't divert too much from the overall sound of In Love With Oblivion, aside from being a little more mellow and maybe slightly less gloomy. These songs still tend to combine 80s post-punk with 60s psychedelia, perhaps leaning a little more towards the psych. EP opener "Dark Eyes" is pretty much on par with the best songs on In Love With Oblivion. I'm glad that in 2011, I have continuously fallen In Love With Crystal Stilts. Zing!

When I Talk To You
When I Talk to You - Deadbeat Beat (Gold Tapes, 2011)
These days, it's pretty rare when I get excited about a band or album that comes from Detroit. It's about time I have another one of each to get behind! Deadbeat Beat play lo-fi jangly 60s garage rock that is isn't anything out of the ordinary, but it doesn't need to be. These songs are awesome. The simple arrangements with primal instrumentation overflowing with the good kind of reverb is appealing enough, but, man, these melodies are just killer. "Body Shakes" is a prime example of a song by a local band that is on par with those of bands in the national spotlight. When I Talk to You is a very good debut from a very young Detroit band, and I'm hoping that this is a sign of good things to come from the city, because I've grown pretty apathetic toward the local music scene.

No comments: