Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Feel Me Flow

"Feel Me Flow" by Naughty by Nature, from Poverty's Paradise (1995)
I'm not a hip hop guy at all, but I sure loved this jam in the fifth and sixth grades. I hadn't heard the song since then until last August, when Travis DJed Jensen's wedding and included it on the playlist. It reopened up a world of fondness and nostalgia, and unfortunately I hadn't gotten around to downloading the track for my own benefit until just the other day.

In spite of my having little to interest or passion for hip hop in general, "Feel Me Flow" fits in with the few songs of that style that I do really like. It's incredibly smooth and features a classic sounding soul sample (I have no idea what it is, though) that is actually quite beautiful. The melody during the chorus is fantastic, even if it's not sung especially well (which is my preference, anyway). Also, I'm into this more percussive, staccato style of rapping. I feel like we don't hear that anymore? Correct me if I'm wrong.

No comments: