Thursday, February 10, 2011

Watchmen

Watchmen
Watchmen - Alan Moore (1986-87)
About a week or so ago I decided it was high time I reread Alan Moore's classic (and best) comic series, Watchmen. It was the best decision. I thought it was a complete mindblow the first time through, but this time, whooooo boy.

As complex as the story is, I was surprised I remembered so much of it. All the little intricacies were just as fresh and impressive as the first time, but there was an added weight to it all as I knew what was coming and had a better grasp of how everything was layed out and unraveled. It was easier to read into the parallels between the main story and the pirate comic (Tales From the Black Freighter) subplot too, which was a huge bonus. But, the best part about rereading it was catching all the subtle hints at the ending throughout the first half of the collected book , which obviously I would have missed my first time through.

There is nothing to say that hasn't already been said about the variety of statements and critiques Watchmen makes in regards to government, good vs. evil, etc. So, I'll just close by saying that this book is absolutely perfect. And, also, I actually loved Zack Snyder's adaptation of this collected series, and cannot wait to view the director's cut which splices in the animated retelling of Tales From the Black Freighter within the film.

No comments: