Sunday, December 13, 2009

New Favorite Song #4: Dreams

Fleetwood Mac
Whoo boy, what a song. Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams," featured on the insanely popular, 1977 almost-masterpiece Rumours, was my jam of the summer. That feels like a long time ago, but I am still losing my shit over it. So much so, that I couldn't resist singing it the last two times I went to karaoke at the Elbow Room.

There is so much that makes the song incredible. For starters, Mick Fleetwood's drumming here is some of the tightest I have ever heard. His performance on it deserves a post all to its own. The beat is as simple as they come, but the groove is so smooth. And he pulls off these quick, subtle fills that are right up my alley.

To be honest, the drumming might just be my favorite thing about "Dreams." But that's not where the brilliance of it ends. Stevie Nicks' sultry voice is a nice touch and the complex vocal melody fits with the chord progression (which also is fantastic) very nicely. The icing on the cake is the chorus when those harmonies come soaring in. Add the lyrical depth (I'm assuming, like most of the album, the song is strongly influenced by the relational turmoil that was taking place within the band members' intertwined love lives), and we've got one of the greatest pop songs of all time.

Why don't you listen for yourself?