Thursday, October 1, 2009

Predictions For Pitchfork's 20 Best Records Of 2000-2009

My best bud Travis (who blogs here) and I spent a couple hours today texting about our predictions for Pitchfork's decade-end albums list finale, which comes tomorrow by way of a top 20. Thanks to this collaboration, we were able to come up with a list of around 16 that we feel somewhat confident about. Being totally stumped after that, and toying around with the idea of a couple others, here is my attempt at filling in the holes and putting these albums in some sort of order. I can't wait to see how wrong I will be come tomorrow morning.

20. The Runners Four - Deerhoof (Kill Rock Stars/5 Rue Christine, 2005)
19. Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne (Cash Money, 2008)
18. White Blood Cells - The White Stripes (Sympathy for the Record Industry, 2001)
17. Silent Shout - The Knife (Mute/Rabid, 2006)
16. Is This It - The Strokes (RCA, 2001)
15. The Blueprint - Jay-Z (Roc-a-Fella, 2001)
14. Discovery - Daft Punk (Virgin, 2001)
13. Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem (EMI/DFA, 2007)
12. Person Pitch - Panda Bear (Paw Tracks, 2007)
11. Illinois - Sufjan Stevens (Asthmatic Kitty, 2005)
10. Agaetis Byrjun - Sigur Ros (Smekklyesa, 2000)
9. The Moon and Antarctica - Modest Mouse (Epic, 2000)
8. Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective (Domino, 2009)
7. Stankonia - Outkast (La Face, 2000)
6. Turn On the Bright Lights - Interpol (Matador, 2002)
5. Since I Left You - The Avalanches (XL, 2001)
4. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco (Nonesuch, 2002)
3. Late Registration - Kanye West (Def Jam/Roc-a-Fella, 2005)
2. Funeral - Arcade Fire (Merge, 2004)
1. Kid A - Radiohead (Capitol, 2000)

3 comments:

The Bennes said...

I will be very upset if Late Registration is above Stankonia! We'll see though, nice predictions! I'm hoping Stankonia is number 2!!! But, I doubt it...loves ya

Zach Curd said...

As far as I can tell, you were only missing one record (Ghostface). The order was different, but it's still crazy to me that you were able to get it that close!

Quillen said...

If only I had swapped Lil Wayne for Ghostface and Deerhoof for Spoon, I would have been right on. I almost included the Spoon record, but opted out of it. I'm an idiot!