Monday, March 23, 2009

New Favorite Song #1: 1901

New Favorite Song #1
So, I've decided to start another blog series. It shall be titled "New Favorite Song." Whenever I come across a song that I fall absolutely in love with (old or new), I will post about it and include streaming media (most often if not every single time from iMeem).

The inaugural jam I felt called to rave about is the first song released from Phoenix's upcoming album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, titled "1901." Let me tell you, it is FANTASTIC. It is everything I hoped for when I read that they were coming out with a new record. Based off my knowledge of the band, I see them as pretty hit or miss. But, when they are on, THEY ARE ON. Take "Consolation Prizes" from 2006's It's Never Been Like That, or even further back to "Too Young" and "If I Ever Feel Better" from 2000's United, for example.

It seemed like Phoenix were fooling around with a mix of funk, soul, radio pop and rock on their first few releases until they settled on a really crisp pop/rock sound on It's Never Been Like That. I remember thinking that record seemed pretty bland for the most part (with the exception of a few standout tracks), though I haven't listened to it in a while and plan on going back it.

"1901," which I believe to be the first single from Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, is the band at their best. Featuring clean yet crashing guitars, driving synth bass, Thomas Mars' smooth sing-a-long melodies, and some of the most pristine sounding drums around, it is ready for alternative and maybe even pop radio popularity. In spite of how well they had pulled off a funkier sound earlier in their career, I think they've found their niche in alternative pop music. I don't know what it is that sets them apart to my ears, because this is as clean and simple as it gets. The stars have aligned just right for Phoenix to record perhaps the best song of their career.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. The whole album is amazing, especially 1901.

Anonymous said...

You know, at 20 seconds in, I wasn't terribly impressed. I LOVE "It's Never Been Like That," in all caps. But a lot of their other stuff is pretty spotty. Then at 2:45, I started feeling awesome and I think the clouds parted and the sun came out and it turned into summer. Then I listened to the track again.

Quillen said...

Yes, Zach! I predict this album will become one of my ultimate summer jams in the coming months.