Saturday, October 12, 2013

Emotional Listening #35

God Save the Clientele
God Save the Clientele - The Clientele (Merge, 2007)
I have no idea why this record didn't hit me so hard when it first came out. God Save the Clientele (the band's fourth proper LP) is fall music at its finest: soft whispers for vocals, arpeggiated guitars, strings, brushed drums and somber vibes all around. I finally came around on 2009's Bonfires on the Heath, and also have no idea why I haven't gone to their earlier stuff. "I Hope I Know You," "From Brighton Beach to Santa Monica" and "Somebody Changed" are all SO GOOD, and should have been considered for my 2013 fall mix.
Top jams: "Here Comes the Phantom," "I Hope I Know You," "The Dance of the Hours," "From Brighton Beach to Santa Monica," "Winter on Victoria Street," "Somebody Changed," "Bookshop Casanova," "The Garden at Night"

Year After Year
Year After Year - Idaho (Caroline, 1993)
A few months ago I downloaded some Idaho EPs and their 1993 debut full length, Year After Year, on a whim. Not long after, while I was working at Cafe Ollie in Ypsilanti, my boss Mark was raving about them, as did my friend from Bloomington, Frank Schweikhardt, a couple weeks later. So, I went for it, and while I didn't like this record as much as I was hoping (it is definitely too slow and boring in places), I still found plenty to appreciate. "God's Green Earth" is a gnarly opener, and "Skyscrape" is a slowcore anthem that absolutely had to have played a huge role in influencing David Bazan/Pedro the Lion. "One Sunday" is by far the most upbeat jam, and also the album's best, with its almost electro-sounding drums and jagged, jangly guitars that borderline on shoegaze. Shit gets pretty dark and dire as the album goes on, but, ends on a strong note with the title track and the appropriately titled closer, "End Game." I'm interested in moving forward with these guys. Anyone have any ideas as to where I should go next?
Top jams: "God's Green Earth," "Skyscrape," "Gone," "One Sunday," "Save," "Year After Year," "End Game"

Anahata
Anahata - June of 44 (Quarterstick, 1999)
I don't mean to be a culturist, but it is shocking to me that a band so weird as June of 44 came from Louisville. They are one of those classic math rock bands from the 90s, and Anahata was their final album. There are certainly some quirky rhythms and sounds going on here, but nothing quite as complex as I had expected. I was surprised by the (sometimes) tuneful vocals. Even if the singing on "Southeast of Boston" goes a little out of tune, the melody is quite good and at least interesting. "Equators to Bi-Polar" showcases some tropical vibes in the guitars and drums, and is probably my favorite song here, while "Cardiac Atlas," with its nice and moody guitars, comes in at a close second. I don't love this record, and it's not something I'm going to feel called to listen to all the time, but I greatly respect it for its originality, and am glad I own it on vinyl.
Top jams: "Escape of the Levitational Trapeze Artist," "Cardiac Atlas," "Equators to Bi-Polar," "Southeast of Boston," "Five Bucks in My Pocket"

Band on the Run
Band on the Run - Paul McCartney & Wings (Apple, 1973)
I won't argue with anyone who thinks Paul McCartney's solo material is cheesy, because most of it is. But you cannot tell me that the guy didn't know how to write a great pop song (not that he's dead, I just assume he's lost that skill by now). After getting entirely into Ram last year, I've decided to go ahead with Band on the Run, which also features McCartney's official backing band, Wings. It is nowhere near as good as Ram, but is still a solid power pop album with one tremendous jam: "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five." Admittedly, that is pretty much the only bright spot on the second half of the record, but, man, is it a big one. The first five songs, however, are a different story: they are all good. Yes, even the title track. Obviously.
Top jams: "Band on the Run," "Jet," "Bluebird," "Mrs. Vandebilt," "Let Me Roll It," "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five"

Velocity Girl EP
Velocity Girl EP - Velocity Girl (Slumberland, 1993)
It is so crazy to me that Velocity Girl were on the Clueless soundtrack. Anyway, this EP is a collection of early singles from this Slumberland band, two of which are different versions of the same song (both being good). The Clueless song, "Forgotten Favorite" is so ridiculously corny, I have difficulty taking it seriously, even if it isn't that bad of a song. "Why Should I be Nice to You" and especially "Always" (LOVE the drony guitars) both rule, in all their fuzz pop glory.
Top jams: "I Don't Care if You Go," "Always," "Why Should I be Nice to You," "I Don't Care if You Go (Acoustic)"

No comments: