Saturday, September 28, 2013

Emotional Listening #34


The Law of Things
The Law of Things - The Bats (Flying Nun, 1990)
I've gotta say, The Law of Things, The Bats' sophomore follow-up to their glorious debut, Daddy's Highway, is by far my least favorite album of theirs yet. That's not to say it isn't good, because it totally is. There just isn't anything like "Block of Wood" or "Mid City Team." Not even close. Still, these jangle pop masters were just getting started in their triumphant run of consistently great records beyond this, and this here backstep is still a valuable entry. I particularly love the perfect meshing of electric and acoustic guitars on "I Fall Away" and "Bedlam," and also the amazing song title that is "Yawn Vibes." The Law of Things is still entirely The Bats, structurally and melodically, the quality just fell off a smidge.
Top jams: "Other Side of You," "Never Said Goodbye," "Yawn Vibes," "Ten to One," "Mastery," "I Fall Away," "Nine Days," "Bedlam"

Anthology
Anthology - Christie Front Drive (Caulfield, 1995)
So emo. Seriously. Christie Front Drive is one of the most classic, perhaps criminally underrated of the mid-90s emo/post-hardcore movement. They were more in line with their slower, more straightforward contemporaries (Texas is the Reason, Mineral) than the more complex and upbeat (and my personal favorites), Braid, Cap'n Jazz and The Promise Ring. As far as I understand, CFD never released a proper full length, only 7-inches and EPs. This particularly release compiles ten of those songs. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the production here, nor the drumming, which is pretty bland. There also are some pretty cheesy, very dated moments, which you won't catch on legendary emo albums like Frame and Canvas or Nothing Feels Good. But, at the same time, there are some really great moments too, most notably the vocal melody during the chorus of "Away," and the guitar interplay on songs like "Pipe," "Slide" and "4010." These guys seemed to be way more into big chords than guitar wankery, which I actually appreciate with these mid-tempo, moody pop jams. It's funny, I don't love any one song here all the way through, but each one has it's own one (or a couple) specific moment(s) that blow(s) me away.
Top jams: "Turn," "Dyed on 8," "Long Out," "Pipe," "Dirt," "Slide," "4010," "Away"

Labour of Lust
Labour of Lust - Nick Lowe (Columbia, 1979)
My interest in Nick Lowe first came about when I first discovered his song "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass" thanks to my friend Julian sometime in 2008, I think? Perhaps stupidly, I still have not spent any time with the record that song is featured on, Lowe's 1978 debut, Jesus of Cool (I'll get there eventually). But, I have been enjoying his 1979 follow-up,  Labour of Lust, quite a bit. It is some quality, truly well-produced power pop not unlike Elvis Costello's classics (which isn't surprising, as Lowe has produced for Costello). These songs are blatantly catchy, but, also very smart, which is how I typically prefer my blatantly catchy pop songs. "Cruel to be Kind" is an obvious hit, but the best moments are in "American Squirm" and "Dose of You."
Top jams: "Cruel to be Kind," "Cracking Up," "American Squirm," "Skin Deep," "Switchboard Susan," "Without Love," "Dose of You"

The Comforts of Madness
The Comforts of Madness - Pale Saints (4AD, 1990)
My girlfriend Sara first shared Pale Saints with me on an awesome back deck on a beautiful summer day when we were dog-sitting for some friends last year. Obviously, they stuck with me since I can clearly remember that very moment (I believe I was partaking in one of my fantasy football drafts). Unfortunately, I can't remember which album we listened to exactly, but I do not think it was The Comforts of Madness, their 1990 debut. I don't necessarily love every song, but, this is quite an album, and their sound is very much up my alley right now: an epic mix of melodic, dramatic post-punk (ala The Smiths), twee, shoegaze and dream pop (I feel pompous and dumb for dropping so many hip genre titles, I apologize). Chimey guitars, mostly quicker tempos, catchy vocal melodies, driving bass, but, an overall dreamy atmosphere. "You Tear the World in Two" and "Time Thief" are THE jams. Sara tells me this isn't even close to them at their best, so I am very excited to listen to some more.
Top jams: "Way the World Is, " "You Tear the World in Two," "True Coming Dream," "Language of Flowers," "Fell From the Sun," "Sight of You," "Time Thief"

No comments: