Sunday, December 30, 2012

Emotional Listening #27

Introducing
Introducing - Brilliant Colors (Slumberland, 2009)
Bad ass, fuzzy girl punk located somewhere between Vivian Girls (chords) and Chin Chin (toughness). Snotty, but not trashy. Their 2011 follow-up, Again and Again, is less punk and more jangly and hazy. Introducing is my preference.
Top jams: "I Searched," "English Cities," "Yell in the Air," "Over There," "Mythic," "Should I Tell You"

Stealing Fire
Stealing Fire - Bruce Cockburn (True North, 1984)
I'm not even sure how to begin to describe this. 80s singer/songwriter pop? There are some awesome power pop moments, namely in opener "Lovers in a Dangerous Time," which is pretty much my favorite song in my life right now. "Maybe the Poet" has some subtle nods to Talking Heads. Some of the songs here remind me of 80s Paul Simon too, especially the closer, "Dust and Diesel." Don't get me wrong, there is some overly cheesy crap here, but the good far outweighs the bad.
Top jams: "Lovers in a Dangerous Time," "Maybe the Poet," "Sahara Gold," "Making Contact," "Dust and Diesel"

Wheatfield Soul
Wheatfield Soul - The Guess Who (RCA, 1968)
This pretty much came out of nowhere for me. I had no idea that The Guess Who were legit aside from "These Eyes," but Wheatfield Soul has some jams. Sure, there are some Doors-y psych rock moments that are laughably awful too, but those can be overlooked thanks to quality Beatles-esque 60s pop like on "A Wednesday in Your Garden," "Lightfoot," and "Maple Fudge." The surprising complexity of "Pink Wine Sparkles in the Glass" helps it to land in second place for song of the record (just short of "These Eyes").
Top jams: "These Eyes," "Pink Wine Sparkles in the Glass," "I Found Her in a Star," "A Wednesday in Your Garden," "Lightfoot," "Maple Fudge"

Imperial F.F.R.R.
Imperial F.F.R.R. - Unrest (Teenbeat, 1992)
I probably should have started off spending more time with 1993's Perfect Teeth, as it seems to be far superior after one listen, but Unrest's prior album, Imperial F.F.R.R. still has it's moments. I've been listening to the UK version, which features four extra songs (including the absolute best track here, "Yes She is My Skinhead Girl"). This band did a cool thing, mixing the 90s indie/alternative rock of the time with the guitar-driven 80s post-punk of early New Order and The Cure. There's a lot of space in their sound, whether they're doing the upbeat jangly thing or the bizarre, percussive experimental thing (most of which I dislike in this case). Totally solid, to good album, though.
Top jams: "Suki," "I Do Believe You Are Blushing," "Isabel," "Cherry Cream On," "June," "Yes She is My Skinhead Girl," "Hydrofoil No. 1," "Wednesday & Proud"

Odessey and Oracle
Odessey and Oracle - The Zombies (CBS, 1968)
Several things are weird about my recently listening to The Zombies' magnus opus, Odessey and Oracle a lot. First off, the fact that I'm just now finally becoming a true fan, here in 2012, is probably strange. Also, in spite of pretty much every song here being good if not beyond good, somehow, I feel the album is a teensy bit overrated. I still prefer Pet Sounds, without question. I still prefer most of the psychedelic Beatles albums.  And I haven't gone all in with The Kinks yet, but I can already tell that I will strongly prefer them as well. While I am more partial to The Byrds' chimy guitars, I must say that from a songwriting standpoint, The Zombies do have them beat. Anyway, all of that being said, Odessey and Oracle is a lush, gorgeous, psychedelic pop album, and still one of the greatest of the 60s. DUH.
Top jams: "Care of Cell 44," "A Rose for Emily," "Maybe After He's Gone," "Beechwood Park," "Brief Candles," "Hung Up on a Dream," "I Want Her She Wants Me," "This Will be Our Year," "Friends of Mine," "Time of the Season"

No comments: