Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ghost World/The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove/Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Ghost World
Ghost World - Daniel Clowes (1997)
As long as I've been into graphic novels, it's curious that I just now got around to reading Daniel Clowes' famous and critically acclaimed Ghost World. I would certainly have been more effected had I read it in late high school or early college. At 28, these girls just sound like annoying, pretentious, entitled, whiny brats. Sure, their dialogue is often times funny, especially when they're making fun of the pop culture of the time, or of people for what they like. It just gets really grating, because I hate people like this. Regardless, Ghost World is a funny critique of hipsterdom, and an interesting look at youthful friendship and growing apart.

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove - Christopher Moore (1999)
1999's The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove is the third Christopher Moore novel I've read, and I think I get the point, now: Obviously quirky characters, sex jokes, clumsy giant monsters, nonsensical adventures, etc. I absolutely loved Lamb (2002), and until I'm proved otherwise, I will continue to be interested in reading Moore's works after that. So far, his earlier works just seem a little too immature to me, and frankly, the jokes aren't quite funny enough. Granted, this is based off of only two of those earlier works, and there were elements to each of the characters in The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove that I enjoyed. I would wager to say that this is far from Moore's best.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Suskind (1985)
As I suspected, Patrick Suskind's 1985 novel Perfume: The Story of a Murderer had its creepy moments. Unfortunately, not as many or not to the degree as I had hoped. Admittedly, I had already seen the 2006 film adaptation, so I knew what I was getting into: mood and atmosphere more than action and violence. Suskind did a fantastic job creating a detestable monster, albeit subtly so, and the drawn out set up of the story was masterfully told. The beginning chapters to the novel were especially eerie and enjoyable to digest. I guess, and maybe this makes me a real creep, but, I feel that Suskind glazed over the gruesome parts way too quickly, and didn't spend enough time on the actual murders. This story had the potential to go along the lines of Alan Moore's From Hell, and while that graphic novel is overly gruesome, I don't know, I think it makes for interesting art, especially when it takes place in such a classic setting. In spite of these criticisms, Suskind's writing style and the overall mood of Perfume were most definitely a success.

No comments: