Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Summer Singles 7"/Gloss Drop

'Summer
Summer Singles 7" - 1994!/Snowing/Boys and Sex/Algernon Cadwallader (Slow Growth, 2011)
I am loving this 90s midwest emo revival that is taking place these days on the east coast. Slow Growth's Summer Singles 7" showcases perhaps four of the best bands doing it. 1994! and Boys and Sex (terrible band name, I know) are a bit more on the screamier side. 1994!'s jam is especially impressive thanks to all its math and how full it sounds, considering the band is made up of only two dudes. The real gems here are the excellent tracks by Snowing and Algernon Cadwallader. Snowing's jam is mid-tempo emo pop at its finest, with the classic bad singing and all. Good thing the melodies and guitar work are tops. Algernon Cadwallader is seriously the cream of the crop involved in this resurgence, though. "(Na Na Na Na) Simulation" isn't even close to one of the band's best tracks, but it takes the cake here. These guys continue to add some pop to their noodly sound, and if people who give them a chance can get past the Cap'n Jazz comparisons, they should reach the top of the world at some point.

Gloss Drop
Gloss Drop - Battles (Warp, 2011)
I am pleasantly surprised by how much I like Battles' latest, Gloss Drop, when I didn't really get much out of 2007's Mirrored. Don't get me wrong, I was enamored with the creativity and technical ability presented on that record, but I just don't get much enjoyment out of listening to it. Gloss Drop, on the other hand, with all of its cartoon synths and insanely tight (and just insane) drumming, is fun to listen to. Every song is at least decent, most of them are totally good, but "Ice Cream" and "Sweetie & Shag" are just ridiculous. I wouldn't disagree with any argument stating that Mirrored features more variety, but I like how Gloss Drop has more uniformity, yet still sounds like it was composed by aliens. Battles are like no band pretty much ever, and that's one cool thing about them, but I am happy to be able to consider myself a fan, now.

No comments: