Thursday, July 28, 2011

Demolished Thoughts/Innings/Tomboy

Demolished Thoughts
Demolished Thoughts - Thurston Moore (Matador, 2011)
I'm not really one to champion Sonic Youth much. I like Rather Ripped, and intend to give Daydream Nation more listens than the few that I have, but I honestly don't know or care much beyond that (I'm open to anyone changing my mind). So, I'm not sure why I decided to take a chance on Thurston Moore's latest solo record, Demolished Thoughts, but I'm glad I did. This LP showcases Moore's skill at stripping things down and just getting real. The songs are laced with interweaving acoustic guitars and accented by sparse strings and some harp here and there, all of which make way for Moore's flawed and wounded vocals. Overall, the sound is simply gorgeous, but the real selling point is how Moore integrates such beauty in songs that are made up of chord progressions that are so haunting and even unsettling at times. Demolished Thoughts should truly shine come fall.

Innings
Innings - Nodzzz (Woodsist, 2011)
I unfortunately still haven't listened to lo-fi jangle pop band Nodzzz's self-titled debut aside from the one time that Bravender shared it with me. From what I remember, it seems that LP #2, Innings, picks up right where they left off: rough around the edges production, very short and succinct guitar pop songs, clever, quirky and innocent lyrics, and fun as hell melodies galore. There isn't anything particularly special going on here, but I'm not really requiring that from the band. Innings is just a quick, enjoyable listen featuring simple yet impressive song craft. "Old Clothes" and "Spirit & Soul" are especially jams.

Tomboy
Tomboy - Panda Bear (Paw Tracks, 2011)
The long wait is over. Tomboy is finally arrived. Well, it's been here for a few months now, but, you know what I mean. Back in April, Jensen shared his sentiments on Tomboy and remarked that it is a gray album. While I agree that it is nowhere near as vibrant as Panda Bear's 2007 masterpiece, Person Pitch, I don't think that Tomboy is necessarily lacking color. And, the vast differences between the two make it quite a charming listening experience. Here, Noah Lennox depends more on live instrumentation and naturally created sounds, which ended up leading to more sparse arrangements and darker moods. Still, Lennox's immaculate melodies and harmonies dominate almost every measure on Tomboy, and is obviously the element that ties everything together. Opener "You Can Count on Me" and standouts "Surfer's Hymn" and "Last Night at the Jetty" are the brightest moments on here, but they still fit in perfectly with all the darker ones. I love every song but one on the record, but "Slow Motion," "Last Night at the Jetty" and "Alsation Darn" are far and away the best. Tomboy is not perfect, and probably not quite as great as Person Pitch, but it is definitely a satisfactory follow up, and easily one of my favorite albums to be released in 2011 so far.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Q,

I'd be glad to guide you through SY's catalog (if you didn't know, I'm a HUGE fan), although I've failed to convince other drummers.

If you're into this Thurston record, definitely give Trees Outside the Acadmey - his last solo outing - a listen. Has some of the haunting thing, too, but also some real pop gems. From what I've heard of "Demolished," I'd say I prefer "Trees."

Another good acoustic solo outing by a loud, old indie dude this year is Mascis' "Several Shades of Why."

Another "fall record" release this spring.

Quillen said...

I think I have heard some of Trees Outside the Academy and was impressed. Which Sonic Youth album would you recommend I check out aside from the ones I mentioned?

For some reason, I decided not to be interested in the Mascis solo record. I was skeptical that his voice and style of guitar playing would be cheesy all stripped down? I don't know. You like it?