Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bored to Death: Season One

Bored to Death: Season One
Bored to Death: Season One (2009)
Finally got around to watching the first season of Jonathan Ames' Bored to Death with my housemates last week. Unsurprisingly, it was totally good. Surprisingly, it's not nearly as edgy as standard HBO fare.

Bored to Death is about a young author who struggles to write his second novel along with getting over his ex-girlfriend and decides to use the knowledge and insight he's gained from all the detective novels he's read to act as an unlicensed private detective. Quite the funny plot, if you ask me, and it actually works.

What I love about season one, aside from Jason Schwartzman being his usual self and Ted Danson's outstanding performance, is how near innocent it is. Sure, there's a smidge of hilarious violence here, and a touch of sexual activity there. I guess I mean that the events that take place, let alone Schwartzman's character and a good portion of his decisions within the story seem juvenile in an adorable and innocent way, which I think is the main thing that makes Bored to Death different than any other HBO show. Instead of grimey and defiant, it is simply fun, quirky and absolutely hilarious. I don't think it's the best television series I've ever seen or anything like that, but I thoroughly enjoyed this first season, and look forward to watching the next one.

Oh yeah, and that Zach Galifianakis is pretty funny in it, too.

No comments: