Friday, March 4, 2011

Emotional Listening #7

It's been quite a while since I've talked about older music that I've discovered, overlooked or rediscovered. So, I'm bringing this segment of my blog back. Here we go.

The Speed of Cattle
The Speed of Cattle - Archers of Loaf (Alias, 1996)
Why it took me so long to finally decide to be interested in Archers of Loaf is beyond me. They rule. And while I assume The Speed of Cattle is probably a weak release of theirs (as it is a collection of b-sides and rare recordings), it still has some jams. I can't say that I like the very early stuff, as the guitars and rhythms are monotonous and the vocals annoying. But, once the band started infusing a little pop in their sound along with those jagged, interweaving guitar lines and Eric Bachmann chose to sing melodies, their shit gets real good. On this particular collection, the highs are very high. The raw practice version of "Web in Front" might sound even better than Icky Mettle's version, and the John Peel Session performances of "Smokin' Pot in the Hot City" and "Freezing Point" are pure bliss.
Top jams: "Web in Front," "What Did You Expect?," "Don't Believe the Good News," "Smokin' Pot in the Hot City (John Peel Session)," "Bacteria," "Freezing Point (John Peel Session)," "Powerwalker"

All the Nation's Airports
All the Nation's Airports - Archers of Loaf (Elektra/Alias, 1996)
The band's first full length to be distributed by a major label, All the Nation's Airports, was definitely a step forward in so many ways. It's definitely cleaner sounding and more accessible, but their intense energy is still evident throughout, even on the piano ballads. The album opens furiously and fantastically, and doesn't let up untl after the sixth song, "Rental Sting." "All the Nation's Airports" and "Scenic Pastures" easily go along with "Web in Front" as my favorite Archers of Loaf songs so far. What really does it for me on All the Nation's Airports are all the beefy, angular and thought out guitar parts. Plus, there is a certain smidge of emo laced throughout the whole thing, which, if you know me, you know I'm a sucker for.
Top jams: "Strangled by the Stereo Wire," "All the Nation's Airports," "Scenic Pastures," "Worst Defense," "Attack of the Killer Bees," "Rental Sting," "Vocal Shrapnel," "Acromegaly"

Fear of God
Fear of God - The Bats (Flying Nun, 1991)
Oh man. New Zealand's The Bats are quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite bands. Daddy's Highway, their 1987 debut, which I honestly haven't spent a ton of time with yet, is completely awesome. But, what's so great about this band, is every other album of theirs that I've heard (they have seven, and I've heard four) is also awesome. Fear of God doesn't vary too much from their 80s jangle pop sound, but that's just how I want it. The songs here are mostly upbeat and fun, with some nice ballads here and there. "Boogey Man" and "Straight Image" are two of The Bats' best songs, without question.
Top jams: "Boogey Man," "The Old Ones," "Hold All the Butter," "Straight Image," "You Know We Shouldn't," "Jetsam"

Couchmaster
Couchmaster - The Bats (Flying Nun, 1995)
I didn't think Couchmaster, the band's fifth album, could be better than Fear of God, but it sure is. The guitars still have all that jangle, but the songs have a little more of a dark edge to them, at least sound-wise. There's a lot more variety here, and of course there are some really great songs. I'm partial to the beefy guitar and plodding tempo of "Around You Like Snow," the slightly Built to Spill feel of "Work It Out" and the sleepy summer instrumental "Supernova." Overall, Couchmaster sort of reminds me of a jangly mid-90s Yo La Tengo, which is a really great thing. The Bats are giving R.E.M. of the 80s a run for their money as the best jangly pop/rock band.
Top jams: "Afternoon in Bed," "Around You Like Snow," "Work It Out," "Land 'O' Lakes," "Supernova," "Crow Song," "Knowledge is Power," "It's Happening to You," "Down to Me"

No comments: