Saturday, April 17, 2010

New Favorite Song #5: Let 'Em In

Wings
Oh man, what a smooth jam, right? I have my housemate Julian Wettlin to thank for becoming obsessed with this incredible example of subtlety and brilliance. The chord progressions for both the verses and choruses are smart as hell, but especially awesome and a little sexy during the verses. The drumming sounds like Mick Fleetwood at his tightest and simplest, and when the second drum track comes in with that marching snare... God, I just love that shit. McCartney's voice and melodies are nothing short of perfect. And, lastly, the usage of brass and wind instruments is some of the best around, from the marching band flutes to the doubled trombone solo to the soulful saxophones. Even though the record that "Let 'Em In" is on, Wings at the Speed of Sound, came out in 1976, obviously post-Beatles, it's moments like this that remind me why McCartney was my favorite Beatle.

Here's this jam of jams I'm raving about for your listening pleasure:

No comments: