Thursday, July 17, 2008

Water Curses EP

Water Curses EP
Water Curses EP
Animal Collective
(Domino, 2008)
Rating: 89%

Animal Collective, what a band, right? They're like North America's Radiohead. Maybe even Generation Y's Radiohead. By the way, is no one throwing around that phrase anymore? Generation Y?

Animal Collective is like Radiohead in the sense that they are constantly creating something entirely new, fresh and original. They definitely don't sound anything alike, which is a good thing, and maybe even furthers my argument. I don't know. I guess it doesn't matter, as I'm writing this to myself.

AC aren't original because they are the only other band that sound exactly like Radiohead (that feat will never be accomplished). Both bands' talents and unique ability to sound weird, pleasant and just AWESOME, align perfectly. That's what does it. I cannot think of one other band, when all is said and done, that truly sounds anything like these guys. That is quite an accomplishment.

Anyway, this is pointless. What am I saying? I don't really know. Maybe I'm just trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about? AC, I'll stop stroking you guys and start talking about your newest EP. It's called Water Curses. Did you know that?

Water Curses is phenomenal. My love for this band has been growing exponentially with each album since Sung Tongs, and this afterthought to my third favorite album of 2007, Strawberry Jam, is no let down. Not even close. If it was a full length and all the songs had this vibe going on here, it would probably be my favorite AC record. All four tracks are weird, pleasant, just awesome and fantastically beautiful. In other words, IT IS A DOOZY.

The title of this EP is so appropriate, as the songs are eerie, much like I would imagine an actual curse to be. But also really pretty. Also, there is a definite underwater vibe throughout with bubbles and other sounds that help emulate this underwater atmosphere.

Let's talk real quick about the opener, "Water Curses." If you hadn't noticed already, it shares a name with the title of the EP. This is the one upbeat track that was included here. It brings the band back to their good ol' acoustic days, like Sung Tongs, but is much more poppy, like Strawberry Jam. It still has those nice synths and weird noises, as well as those incredible melodies members Avey Tare and Panda Bear are known for. It definitely is a great opening track, and the only instant hit on the EP.

However, my favorite song is a toss up between "Street Flash" and "Cobwebs." "Street Flash" is a conundrum. It is so pretty and mellow, but so far from subtle. The chord progression is done by this nice tremolo guitar. At some point the vocals and guitar and other sounds are joined by this loud, insane sounding cackle. Weird, right? Well then a little later on, a bunch of crazy people join Avey Tare for this screaming match. What the hell, guys? Why are you trying to ruin this beautiful song? Well, after about 10 listens I got really into this particular event of clashing beauty with chaos.

"Cobwebs" is a sweet and subtle jam. Very sparse with this crazy low-end synth groove. The beat is the most interesting part, it sounds like an 8-bit Nintendo bubble. More specifically, it reminds me of the Mega Man 2 villain Bubble Man, perhaps. It is a sweet sweet song with an interesting structure and progression, for sure.

"Seal Eyeing" (what does that even mean?) closes the record, and it is a straightforward and utterly BEAUTIFUL tune. No contradicting ideas here, it is what it is.

Water Curses is the perfect follow up to Strawberry Jam, in spite of its switching gears to a slower, quieter version of Animal Collective. I am totally into this mellowed out version though. In fact, I will state that I just really love this band.

No comments: