Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Favorite Albums of 2000-2009: #15-11

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
(15) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (self-released, 2005)
Back in 2005, when it was really popular for a band to break out if a couple blogs loved their record, this little doozy snuck through that terrible time in music (that is still sort of happening, I guess) and ended up having a ton of staying power. Unfortunately, nothing that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah has done since has come even close to their self-titled debut. But, in retrospect, during such a temperate time in music, I am not going to complain about receiving one nearly flawless album from a band before they turned shitty. This record features pretty much everything you'd want from an upbeat indie pop band and then some: rich, jangly guitars, bouncy rhythms, plenty of great melodies and even some charming zaniness. It seems that a lot of people have completely forgotten about this record, and that is tragic, because it is actually quite unforgettable.
Top jam: "Is This Love?"

Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone
(14) Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone - The Walkmen (Startime, 2002)
The Walkmen are a special band, as they've never released a record that wasn't at the very least really good. However, after five proper albums, for me, I don't think they've been able to top their first one, 2002's Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone. I won't deny that maybe some of their other albums feature better songs than any of the ones that are on here (such as "Little House of Savages," "My Old Man," "In the New Year," even "Woe is Me," perhaps, maybe). What makes Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone untouchable for me is mainly the slightly more gnarly production, the overarching eerie mood that creeps over almost every song ("We've Been Had," for example, is an exception, for it is simply gorgeous) and all the awkward grooves found throughout. I'm having a hard time describing why this is the ultimate Walkmen record, but maybe that's the point. It's mysterious, smart, raw and beautiful, and there's just something about it. What a beginning of a career for one of the absolute best bands around.
Top jam: "We've Been Had"

Moving Mountains
(13) Moving Mountains - The Casket Lottery (Second Nature, 2000)
Finally, my first emo entry on this list. The Casket Lottery's sophomore LP, Moving Mountains, was one of the greatest things I had discovered all throughout high school. It is chock-full of complex song structures, rhythms and guitar lines. Nathan Ellis' and Stacy Hilt's vocals are intense and stronger and even catchier than your average emo band's. Ed Rose's production is huge and appropriate. The Casket Lottery put a darker, more intricate twist on the emo pop style of The Get Up Kids' early days. And, even though when I revisit it I can't avoid all the high school memories that are attached, Moving Mountains still is just about perfect to this day.
Top jam: "Rip Van Winkle"

Oh, Inverted World
(12) Oh, Inverted World - The Shins (Sub Pop, 2001)
I honestly don't have much to say about The Shins' first and best record. While I prefer the more hi-fi production of Chutes Too Narrow and even Wincing the Night Away, to a degree, Oh, Inverted World is superior to both in every other way. Well, the other two Shins records may be hosts to some songs that I like better than any on here. But, still, there are simply more great songs on Oh, Inverted World, if that makes any sense. I like how the songs here aren't quite as bright sounding, in spite of this still being a mostly upbeat pop record. Front to back, Oh, Inverted World features no mid or low points, making it as close to perfect as The Shins have ever gotten (and more than likely ever will).
Top jam: "One by One All Day"

Low Level Owl: Vol. 1 Low Level Owl: Vol. 2
(11) Low Level Owl: Vol. 1 & 2 - The Appleseed Cast (Deep Elm, 2001)
Another nod to my high school days, I am actually not all that surprised by how well The Appleseed Cast's biggest and greatest statement still holds up for me. In spite of consisting of 26 total songs that run over the span of almost two hours, both volumes of 2001's epic Low Level Owl aren't even close to overwhelming. With this separately released double album, The Appleseed Cast were the first band to open my mind to two things I have absolutely loved in music ever since: the voice simply used as another instrument and unhinged experimentation in the studio. Another Ed Rose production, every instrument, minute or major, manipulated or not, sounds amazing. But, what I have always loved most about Low Level Owl are those chiming, shimmering, waterfall guitars. Even though some are relatively boring, I am still utterly impressed with every single song here. As cheesy as it may sound, during my junior year of high school I was of the opinion that Low Level Owl felt like much more of an experience than just listening to a record, and I still feel that way today.
Top jam: "Signal"

1 comment:

Trav said...

This is what I meant to say: CYHSY actually technically did come close to making something as good as their debut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ogkwp3OMH4
Alec O. had some demos that included that song and another called "I Think I'd Like To Go Back To Heaven," which is also awesome. Just sort of a hint that they could've kept going down the same path and maybe made an equally great album.