Friday, February 20, 2009

15 Life Changing Albums

Sorry, this will be my last post for the day.

Today I got tagged by three different friends to compose a Facebook note listing 15 albums that have changed my life. I decided to go the extra mile by not only including explanations and photos, but also posting it on my REAL blog. This one right here.

Two important notes before I get started:

(1) Determining what albums have literally affected or changed my life deeply is very difficult. In all honesty, I can only consider two albums fully life changing (OK Computer and Pet Sounds). The other 13 on this list are the next closest things.

(2) I'm going to try to list these in chronological order, not by the year the album was released, but the year and hopefully month in which it entered and/or became crucial in my life. To the best of my knowledge, at least. Also, this is from the point when I first started getting really serious about music until now.

Oh, and one more thing.

(3) These aren't necessarily my 15 favorite records of all time (although that list would look pretty close), but 15 records that have had a major impact on my outlook on life and in music. Somehow, there is a difference.

Here we go!

OK Computer
OK Computer - Radiohead (Capitol, 1997)
NOVEMBER 1997 - This is what slowly but surely pulled me up from the depths of my ska and pop punk listening shenanigans. It helped me look at the world in a more realistic and even skeptical manner. It inspired me, creeped me out and probably made me cry. It is my favorite album of all time.

Weezer (The Blue Album)
Weezer (The Blue Album) - Weezer (Geffen, 1994)
MARCH 1999 - I was way behind with this one. Back when it first came out, I tossed it aside because it wasn't Christian or grunge. But when I finally sat down with it, boy did it hit me hard. The first album to convince me to give pop music a chance.

Something to Write Home About
Something to Write Home About - The Get Up Kids (Vagrant, 1999)
MARCH 2000 - The perfect high school album. I at least thought that I related to the lyrics at the time, and I sure as hell loved singing along to 'em. So catchy and interesting for me at the time, and the impressive drumming only helped.

Frame & Canvas
Frame & Canvas - Braid (Polyvinyl, 1998)
NOVEMBER 2001 - I was introduced to this at the height of my obsession with emo. Braid should have been one of the first for me, but alas, they were not. Not being one who pays attention to lyrics that much, I couldn't relate to them at the time, unlike so many others (too clever, I guess). But, this is the record that completely sold me on the idea of one day going on tour. It also was fun to imagine me playing Damon Atkinson's drum parts, and how amazing that would be.

Emergency & I
Emergency & I - The Dismemberment Plan (DeSoto, 1999)
OCTOBER 2002 - Probably the first truly out there and bizarre album I had ever gotten into. This changed the way I looked at both melodies and drumming forever.

Discovery
Discovery - Daft Punk (Virgin, 2001)
NOVEMBER 2002 - I hated dancing, and then this sexy baby came along, and now I only love to dance to it (unless I'm under the influence AND with the right crowd). Discovery opened my mind to funky, sexy music, and reminded me that music is really fun to listen to.

The Royal Tenenbaums Original Soundtrack
The Royal Tenenbaums Original Soundtrack - Mark Mothersbaugh/various (Hollywood, 2001)
NOVEMBER 2002 - Mark Mothersbaugh's original score + amazing songs by The Clash, Nick Drake, Nico, The Ramones, The Velvet Underground, etc. + it being the soundtrack to my favorite movie = greatest movie soundtrack I have ever heard. BEAUTIFUL.

Pet Sounds
Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys (Capitol, 1966)
JANUARY 2003 - Here is what finally sold me on pop music, and how if it's done right, it can be the most beautiful thing you've ever heard.

Keep it Like a Secret
Keep it Like a Secret - Built to Spill (Warner Bros., 1999)
JULY 2003 - Just when I was getting sick of hearing the guitar, this album comes along and pulls me right back in. My favorite guitar album of all time.

Transatlanticism
Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie (Barsuk, 2003)
OCTOBER 2003 - Not necessarily the best Death Cab album, but the one with absolutely perfect timing. It came out during what might have been the greatest month of my entire life in the greatest year (school, not calender) of my life. Lots of great memories and emotions attached to this one.

You Forgot It in People
You Forgot it in People - Broken Social Scene (Arts & Crafts, 2002)
DECEMBER 2003 - This album is stunning. I'm at a loss of words. Perhaps it's another one of those "perfect album with perfect timing" stories. I don't know. It heavily contributed to the glory that was the 2003/04 school year.

The Soft Bulletin
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips (Warner Bros., 1999)
APRIL 2004 - One of the weirdest yet most beautiful things I had ever heard at this time. The way this record sounds, primarily the drums, has had an eternal effect on me. It is my dream to have drums that I record sound like this.

London Calling
London Calling - The Clash (Epic, 1979)
APRIL 2004 - At this stage in life, I was so sick of punk rock. Not that this is a punk album through and through. In essence and attitude, it is, but really, it seems like this punk band, The Clash, wanted to make a pop album. And they did. And it was Long Calling. And it sold me again on the idea of punk rock.

The Biz
The Biz - The Sea and Cake (Thrill Jockey, 1995)
AUGUST 2006 - Here began a long and extensive love affair with this band that probably will never end. Not necessarily their best, but the first that I got into. And what a beaut it is!

The Beatles (The White Album)
The Beatles (The White Album) - The Beatles (Capitol, 1968)
DECEMBER 2007 - It took me 23 years and 7 months, but in December of 2007, thanks to Matt Rickle putting "Martha My Dear" on a mix CD for me, I FINALLY felt ready to give The Beatles a go. I have not looked back once. And this is my album. Though, to be completely honest, I haven't spent nearly as much time on the second disc as I have the first. But that first disc is IT!

1 comment:

Extant Nap Ordeal said...

Speaking of the white album, you have to hear the song that was posted on P4K today and removed by EMI. I assume EMI will continue to seek out the song and remove it, but if you search for "Beatles Revolution Take 20", you'll find something. AMAZING!